Scotts Stabilizer

Control Steering Damper / Stabilizers Scotts Performance Steering Damper

19 replies to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted August 05, 2014 - 04:07 AM

Has anyone put a scotts steering stabilizer in their bike?

My concern is if I will be able to even see (or oprtate) the speedometer / trip computer any more after I put one in

• KennyMc

Posted August 05, 2014 - 06:00 AM

Yes, the "submount" doesn't impact your ability to see your instrument cluster. Another advantage, IMO, is it raises your bars ~1" for better ergo's while standing. You could always compensate with a lower rise handlebar.

Edited by KennyMc, August 05, 2014 - 06:01 AM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted August 05, 2014 - 06:59 AM

I have one on my WR - first off, it's a great piece of equipment and makes a huge difference in rocks, sand, dry rutted stuff that would normally freak you out a little at speed, and so forth; it is well worth the money. I also agree that it makes standing a lot more comfortable for longer periods of time (I'm 6 ft even). I have the sub-mount with 15 deg bend Flexx bars and with the bar pad on, which is all the time, it is more difficult to see how far I've gone unless I'm standing right over it and stare at it for a second. To the point where unless I'm on flat terrain for a stretch, I don't even look at it anymore while riding.

• GP1K

Posted August 05, 2014 - 08:15 AM

It's one the first things I do on a new bike... get a mounting kit for my Scotts damper, won't ride without one! I don't run a sub-mount, just a standard mount. Does not even remotely block access to the trip computer.

• Navaho6

Posted August 05, 2014 - 05:22 PM

I use a Scotts on all of my offroad bikes.  Helps a lot in the sand and over sharp-egded roots.  You can loosen your grip and feel safe about it.  You don't really notice it after a couple of rides.  Take it off for one ride and then you'll notice what it does. 

• dadat40

Posted August 05, 2014 - 07:45 PM

I love it in high speed stuff, MX track stuff, slow tight trees you need to turn it down so there isn't so know resistance.

• UH-1H

Posted August 07, 2014 - 11:48 AM

Once you use one you'll never ride without one! Beware.

Here are some more pictures. I got good news from George... None of the parts are unavailable and I could have things back in about a month, maybe less :devil:I don't mind waiting longer but sooner never hurt.Extracting the blind bearing with my own puller.I.jpgII.jpgAn old flywheel works well as a bridgeIII.jpgThere she is... after a few easy spins of the wrench.IV.jpgCase, free of bearings :devil:V.jpgI apologize for being so lazy about uploading stuff.

I don't know what just happened, opps.

• redhurricane

Posted August 07, 2014 - 01:36 PM

sub mount here as well, love it.

• bobpara

Posted August 08, 2014 - 07:37 AM

Wow! 7 out of 7 people like the stabilizer!

I just sprung for one, not cheap

costs about 1/4 of what I paid for the whole bike!

• GP1K

Posted August 08, 2014 - 08:16 AM

Not cheap, but worth every penny. And you can keep it if you sell the bike for your next one. I've had the same damper for years on several different bikes, and swap it between my two current bikes. You can send it in to Scotts for service every few years so it will last a long time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted August 08, 2014 - 01:35 PM

Not cheap, but worth every penny. And you can keep it if you sell the bike for your next one. I've had the same damper for years on several different bikes, and swap it between my two current bikes. You can send it in to Scotts for service every few years so it will last a long time.

Just sent mine in today for service for the first time since I got it back in '08 :jawdrop:

• MANIAC998

Posted August 12, 2014 - 03:37 PM

Can anybody post some pics of there mounts. I'm interested in seeing how the sub mount looks/works, but certainly don't mind looking at the other options too.

Thanks!!!

• Navaho6

Posted August 12, 2014 - 04:46 PM

http://www.scottsonl...tos.php?ID=1059

http://www.scottsonl...tos.php?ID=1215

• still2smokin

Posted August 12, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Standard mount . You will see your speedo just fine ,  although there is rarely enough time to look at it .

vidstill105_zps7b990c03.jpg

• bobpara

Posted August 15, 2014 - 05:37 AM

I thought the gold colored unit was twice as big as it ended up being (nice hill climb pic too)

From your pic, I could have easily done top mount and poss had even better access to the knobs

I went with sub mount, i thought it would be more protected

What a nice company Scotts is to deal with!

The whole thing, packaging, instructions, tech support,....everything

A very positive experience

I'm a bit confused between High speed and low speed damping

Seems to me everything about why I have this damper is connected to high speed dampening

I want to absorb those jolts that dump you over the bars

in fact low speed just slows the left to right movement down.....cant see the need for it

• GP1K

Posted August 15, 2014 - 08:19 AM

Are you mistaking what a steering damper does? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'jolts that dump you over the bars'? A steering damper keeps the front wheel (and thus the bars) from deflecting as hard and as much when hitting things like rocks or roots etc in the trail. It does nothing for hits straight up and down, whoops or log etc.

The high speed circuit rarely needs to be adjusted, and that's what damps bigger hits at speed... like say a partially embedded rock in a trail. The low speed does the same thing, just for softer hits at lower speed. That's the one with the big adjuster knob, so you can dial it in to personal preference. Trail guys might go a little lighter, desert guys a little stiffer.

Ride for a while with it, then take it off and ride again. You'll see the need real quick. :ride:

• DPete

Posted August 15, 2014 - 01:58 PM

On my list, ran one in D37 desert races 10 years ago, they still look the same. Older now, looking to make riding easier instead of being faster.

• still2smokin

Posted August 15, 2014 - 08:33 PM

Ride for a while with it, then take it off and ride again. You'll see the need real quick. :ride:

Exactly .

I can say my Scott's has saved my ass more than once in mud , tree roots and rocks .

Took it off a couple times when my frame mount moved ,  rode without it and was thinking

holy crap how do people ride without one . Maybe not that dramatic........ but it will feel weird

to ride without one .

IMO.....     Set it about 90 degrees from full on , don't mess with it till you are used to it ,

then start messing with the settings .

Edited by still2smokin, August 15, 2014 - 08:34 PM.

• Chas_M

Posted August 16, 2014 - 06:41 AM

Just sent mine in today for service for the first time since I got it back in '08 :jawdrop:

I put my first Scotts damper on my '96 Berg 600fe and have since transferred the same damper to four different bikes. The damper has seen many umpteen thousand miles. I change the damper oil every couple of years; they are easy to service yourselves.

• MANIAC998

Posted August 20, 2014 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Navaho! You just cost me a lot of money!!! :thumbsup:

Scott's SUB mount's are ordered!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.