Lighting HELP

6 replies to this topic
  • calebcwach

Posted August 03, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Just bought a 98 WR400F last week and it was stripped of lighting. Wires to taillight were cut right at the housing, and I'm unsure where they would go....No headlight OR switch, and no regulator...but I believe its all there still in the harness (theres a 2 port plug, a 3 port plug, and 2 wires that are open with connectors on them). Everything else is wired and ready. I'm very mechanically inclined I just can't understand wiring diagrams. There is also 2 prongs sticking out of the rear master, is that a pressure switch for brake light? I'm not sure. What do I need to do to restore the lights on this bike!! Tell me what I need to buy and help me find it! I'll even attatch pics of the open plugs and stuff on the harness for your sake. Please help!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140804_005359.jpg
  • 20140804_005409.jpg
  • 20140804_005420.jpg
  • 20140804_005433.jpg
  • 20140804_005448.jpg

• DunmireD001

Posted August 04, 2014 - 12:20 AM

Are you looking to just get power to your headlight and tail light?
Or are you looking to make it street legal, by adding blinkers later?

The reason I ask is bc there are 2 routes you can take for this, I can walk you through both of these.

Edited by DunmireD001, August 04, 2014 - 12:25 AM.

• calebcwach

Posted August 04, 2014 - 12:49 PM

Are you looking to just get power to your headlight and tail light?
Or are you looking to make it street legal, by adding blinkers later?

The reason I ask is bc there are 2 routes you can take for this, I can walk you through both of these.

I'm looking to power the headlight and taillight, or make the taillight a brake light if that is a pressure sensor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyandride

Posted August 04, 2014 - 03:53 PM

Your rear master cylinder has a pressure switch on it so at some point somebody must have added a brake light.  

Here's a wiring diagram for your bike, maybe you can figure out what goes where and what was added.  98WR400F wiring.jpg

• DunmireD001

Posted August 04, 2014 - 04:21 PM

Find the Yellow wire coming off of your stator. It should come out right under your tank.
Once you find this, run it to your on/ off switch on your handlebars. If you don't have one, get one...
Your yellow wire that went to the switch is now blue (blue is now your power.)

Then run your blue wire coming from your switch, to your regulator. (This is on your frame, right next to the forks on the front left side.) if you need a regulator, buy this as well.

Then find a spot on your frame or engine to run a ground wire from. Or splice into any other black wires you see. (All blacks are grounds). Once your spliced in, run your ground to the regulator as well.

Once you have power to your hand switch, and your regulator, then you just add your lights into the circuit.

Splice in your wires (+ and -) for your headlight and run them to the headlight, then do the same for your tail light. Except for the tail light you will run the power to your brake light switch first, then form there to your tail light.

Edited by DunmireD001, August 04, 2014 - 05:04 PM.

• calebcwach

Posted August 04, 2014 - 05:08 PM

Find the Yellow wire coming off of your stator. It should come out right under your tank.
Once you find this, run it to your on/ off switch on your handlebars. If you don't have one, get one...
Your yellow wire that went to the switch is now blue (blue is now your power.)

Then run your blue wire coming from your switch, to your regulator. (This is on your frame, right next to the forks on the front left side.) if you need a regulator, buy this as well.

Then find a spot on your frame or engine to run a ground wire from. Or splice into any other black wires you see. (All blacks are grounds). Once your spliced in, run your ground to the regulator as well.

Once you have power to your hand switch, and your regulator, then you just add your lights into the circuit.

Splice in your wires (+ and -) for your headlight and run them to the headlight, then do the same for your tail light. Except for the tail light you will run the power to your brake light switch first, then form there to your tail light.

Thank you so much. That made it so much easier than trying to read a diagram lmao I was never really taught how. Now I just have to buy everything bahah

• DunmireD001

Posted August 04, 2014 - 10:15 PM

The trick to reading a wiring diagram is to only look at what you need. Also label things in terms you can understand, and color coding the diagram. You'll see how it all works in a matter of 5 minutes. Plus it's your diagram, so use it in a way that works for you. It's like learning, just without the boring English teaher.

Attached Thumbnails

• ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407219262.072531.jpg
  • ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407219291.673041.jpg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.