Hot start plunger question

4 replies to this topic
  • 300lbsgorilla

Posted August 03, 2014 - 05:47 PM

Had my bike (2004 wr450f) out today in tight woods.  It was of course getting a bit hotter from working harder and moving slower.  It was hard to start hot.  The hot start was disconnected by one of the previous owners.  a plug was put in its place with a spring and a plunger in the carb.  I am getting the zip-ty nut on as well

Turns out the valves clearances were a bit tight too so getting that sorted as well.  That may have something to do with it.

My question is I have read in other threads about lubing the plunger and the seal to make sure it is nice and air tight, but what do I lube it with?  I am just concerned because I don't want it to disolve with the gas vapor (if any) or melt and drip out and plug something.

Edited by 300lbsgorilla, August 03, 2014 - 05:48 PM.

• stevethe

Posted August 03, 2014 - 06:28 PM

The o-ring should be made to hold up to gas. Some people use assembly lube others just use a dab of regular grease.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted August 04, 2014 - 04:47 AM

Water-proof Grease

You need to lube the cable fairly regularly, but when you do, the lube goes down into the hot start cavity, diluting the grease.....so you need to use the high-temp water proof grease that does not dilute with solvents 

http://www.motorcycl...perature Grease

• fixitandy

Posted August 07, 2014 - 05:09 AM

Had my bike (2004 wr450f) out today in tight woods.  It was of course getting a bit hotter from working harder and moving slower.  It was hard to start hot.  The hot start was disconnected by one of the previous owners.  a plug was put in its place with a spring and a plunger in the carb.  I am getting the zip-ty nut on as well

Turns out the valves clearances were a bit tight too so getting that sorted as well.  That may have something to do with it.

My question is I have read in other threads about lubing the plunger and the seal to make sure it is nice and air tight, but what do I lube it with?  I am just concerned because I don't want it to disolve with the gas vapor (if any) or melt and drip out and plug something.

Hi mate, I had hot start plunger woes once & tried all sorts of different types of grease, I now use anti-seize, no drama's since, just throwing it out there, ROOSTA out!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 07, 2014 - 05:19 AM

Yes, I use Honda Anti-sieze on the plunger, mixed with waterproof grease

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.