2015 YZ450 Impressions

16 replies to this topic
  • forgotmyusername

Posted August 03, 2014 - 01:29 PM

First time on the 450 today coming off an '07 CRF450. First off, sweet bike as you all know- lots of smooth, linear power. Compared to my Honda:

-much, much, smoother power in the lower gears getting over the rough stuff (general desert riding)
- gearing is "different" seems notchy when shifting maybe that'll go away with more hours
- third gear is too short
- the riding position is quite a bit more forward than the CRF
- the bike is super well balanced and much more maneuverable at lower speeds which is great for the desert when things you don't expect have a tendency of sneaking up on you.
- front end seems light and turns in easier than the Honda, but isn't as planted and pushes easily
- suspension out of the box is really nice, super plush, but too soft for my weight. When I get it to the tuner I think I'm going to try and find a happy medium between it and the stiffness of my Honda. The Honda would soak up anything but at anything less than all out it was harsh
- did I mention how fast this thing is? The motor is just pure awesome and is nice and mellow down low which makes it really easy to ride but when you open it up it just keeps going and going.
- even when things open up I can't hold it nearly as long wide open in 5th as I could with the Honda
- brakes are awesome.
- harder to ride standing up compared to the narrow CRF. I might get a set of the Cycra Powerflow shrouds

Super happy with the bike. I'm glad I went blue or in my case red/white.

Edited by forgotmyusername, August 03, 2014 - 01:31 PM.

• crf917rider

Posted August 03, 2014 - 03:47 PM

Welcome to the bluecrew

• YzCas

Posted August 04, 2014 - 04:25 AM

I also welcome. you to good luck its a great bike.

• YamaLink

Posted August 04, 2014 - 05:25 AM

Regarding the YZ450's plushness/softness for you, is it properly sprung for your weight? What race sag did you use and where was fork height? Tire pressure can play a role in the front end feel, too, but I'm sure you knew that. Anyway, sounds like you're super happy with the bike and have no or minimal remorse.

• forgotmyusername

Posted August 04, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Regarding the YZ450's plushness/softness for you, is it properly sprung for your weight? What race sag did you use and where was fork height? Tire pressure can play a role in the front end feel, too, but I'm sure you knew that. Anyway, sounds like you're super happy with the bike and have no or minimal remorse.

No it's not sprung for my weight at all. I didn't even measure sag honestly because I know I need a to get the suspension done ASAP. I dont know of any bike set up for a 220lb guy, lol. I was running 12/12 PSI. Where I ride goes from hard pack, to sand, to rock, and yesterday mud. No regrets just little quirks. 

Edited by forgotmyusername, August 04, 2014 - 10:17 AM.

• crf917rider

Posted August 04, 2014 - 12:19 PM

Hmmm the 15 most be set softer from the factory cause the 14 is stiff for 220

• sploon

Posted August 04, 2014 - 10:57 PM

i got mine last saturday but due to bad weather i havnt been able to run it in YET. But first things ive noticed is the removeable air box. the little rubber gromets kept falling out on the radiator shroud when taking it on and off. So ive glued 1 in place and ive lost the other one when i did the first run..... gotta order a new one >.<

I imported the bike from the states and i was really impressed with the ammount of grease on everything. Every other new bike i have got has had little to NO grease in all the bearings. I also really like the seating position on the bike and how agile it feels. I will give a ride report after this weekend but everything so far feels good and i would agree with the power being really controllable and linar. from the 2 - 3 mins riding ive done it was the first thing i noticed.

• forgotmyusername

Posted August 05, 2014 - 08:50 AM

@crf917rider - It could be that it's factory stiff, but all I've been used to was my CRF that I owned since new. So it's soft by comparison. 

@sploon let us know what you think and what you''re coming off of.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf917rider

Posted August 05, 2014 - 09:50 AM

@crf917rider - It could be that it's factory stiff, but all I've been used to was my CRF that I owned since new. So it's soft by comparison.

But isnt yours new so it would still be (factory stiff) like mine (14) if it had the same settings as mine from stock

• forgotmyusername

Posted August 05, 2014 - 10:45 AM

But isnt yours new so it would still be (factory stiff) like mine (14) if it had the same settings as mine from stock

Yes however "stiff" is subjective just like a woman's looks. All I can compare it to is the last two bikes I owned which was the '07 CRF and an '03 525SX before that. Thats 10 years of what I'd call stiff suspension, because both were revalved / resprung.

• ah665

Posted August 05, 2014 - 10:50 AM

I thought I read that the '15 is targeted for riders around 180lbs (for moto of course). 220lbs would likely make it feel soft for most riders, I would think. So I can see where the OP is coming from.

• crf917rider

Posted August 05, 2014 - 12:16 PM

I thought I read that the '15 is targeted for riders around 180lbs (for moto of course). 220lbs would likely make it feel soft for most riders, I would think. So I can see where the OP is coming from.

Thats my point also the 14 comes with stiffer rates 200 to 220 they say the 15 comes with diff. Setting most be softer i know the 14 is pretty stiff stock

• grayracer513

Posted August 05, 2014 - 03:03 PM

Thats my point also the 14 comes with stiffer rates 200 to 220 they say the 15 comes with diff. Setting most be softer i know the 14 is pretty stiff stock

Both bikes have the same rear spring. The 15 does have a different PN for the front, (the '14 has 4.9N fork springs, don't have the specs on the '15) but that's not the issue.  Further, all YZ450's are built to suit riders in the 170-185 pound range.

The problem with undersprung bikes is that you end up with the compression cranked up to offset the soft springs, which makes the ride harsh, and the rebound gets set for either on-ground or off-ground rebound rates, but can't be correctly matched to both.

• sploon

Posted August 05, 2014 - 11:05 PM

Will do. Coming off riding a tuned 2011 yz250 2 stroke for the last 2 years and i have owned 2 2010 kxf450s

• DDMX18

Posted August 07, 2014 - 03:53 PM

Congrats on the new ride, I have the '14 450 and its awesome. I'm 220 without gear and found the suspension way too soft. Revalved front and rear and went up to .52kg springs on the front, kept rear spring the same and set sag at 105mm. Interesting if they have gone softer on the '15 factory settings.

• forgotmyusername

Posted August 07, 2014 - 05:32 PM

Congrats on the new ride, I have the '14 450 and its awesome. I'm 220 without gear and found the suspension way too soft. Revalved front and rear and went up to .52kg springs on the front, kept rear spring the same and set sag at 105mm. Interesting if they have gone softer on the '15 factory settings.

Thanks. I'm going to put some more hours on it before redoing the suspension to get a better feel of exactly what I need. Anytime I've redone the suspension on previous bikes it's made a huge huge difference. Since this bike is such a better package to begin with I'm sure any changes will be awesome.

• yzUSMCf

Posted August 09, 2014 - 12:14 PM

I have a 14 450 and I weigh 205 in gear and according to the spring rate calculator the stock rate is perfect for my weight. Suspension is great for me still tuning it to my preference at only 2 Hrs on the bike!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.