Stock YZ pipe with discs works well

1 reply to this topic
  • AZJeff_99WR400

Posted May 02, 2001 - 10:18 AM

Hey lads,

I have a 1999 WR400 with a stock 1999 YZ400 pipe installed. I have YZ timing and jetting.

The pipe has been freshly repacked and I am running a "disc cap kit" from Bill's Motorcycles Plus in Salem, Oregon ($149) http://www.bmp.motox.org/yz400.htm (888) 806-1153.

There are currently 12 discs in place and the performance and sound level are pretty good. Sorry, I don't have a meter handy as of this posting for specific db's.

Most MX racers will part with their stock pipe for $100 or less, in search of big power from the aftermarket units. I previously had an FMF Powercore IV installed. It made tons of power but at ear-splitting levels. Although I lost money on the deal, I gladly traded the FMF bomb straight up for a stock YZ unit.

I'm not saying that a stock YZ pipe with discs is the cure-all for everyone, but it works for me.

I am also the vice president of the Arizona Trail Riders, and our group is constantly reminded of the excessive noise issue. Overall, that's the biggest gripe from the anti-OHV opponents.

Protect wildlife and habitat - stay on roads and trails.

-Jeff

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn

Posted May 04, 2001 - 01:55 PM

Just ordered one for my 99YZ. I was wondering did you notice much power change or a need to jet different? Also any lessons learned during the install?

Thanks Shawn

------------------
99YZ400F (him)
00TTR125 (her)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.