How do you know you need clutch plates

10 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted August 01, 2014 - 07:20 PM

The bike stalls on down hills with the clutch in and it's not the carb. I can hardly push it with the clutch in it drags so bad. First clutch for a 07'

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 01, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Cold, you should expect drag

The dang WR clutch set up does not disengage all that well to begin with, and with cold oil and fibers, they drag.

I have tried 3 different clutch packs on my '08; stock, Barnett, and Tusk.

I liked the Barnett pack by far the best.

They have thin steels like stock, but made of better metal. So you get that great 'stock/new ' feel, without the plates warping so easily.

The Tusk set I have in there now sucks. Plates are really thick, and no adjusting makes it disengage properly.  I want to chane it, but they probably will never wear out...

• stevethe

Posted August 02, 2014 - 04:46 AM

Cold, you should expect drag

The dang WR clutch set up does not disengage all that well to begin with, and with cold oil and fibers, they drag.

I have tried 3 different clutch packs on my '08; stock, Barnett, and Tusk.

I liked the Barnett pack by far the best.

They have thin steels like stock, but made of better metal. So you get that great 'stock/new ' feel, without the plates warping so easily.

The Tusk set I have in there now sucks. Plates are really thick, and no adjusting makes it disengage properly.  I want to chane it, but they probably will never wear out...

Yeah I checked two other WR's, mine has gotten real bad. The metal plates must be warped.

It's good to know Barnett has a good set. I'll have to check and see if mine has already been ordered. I initially thought a Hinson pack might be the way to go. Anyone use and abuse them ?

Edited by stevethe, August 02, 2014 - 04:46 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 02, 2014 - 05:53 AM

I have, but not on a WR

The one in my XR lasted forever....

• stevethe

Posted August 05, 2014 - 06:24 AM

So I ended up ordering a Hinson set of fiber and metal plates. My source said it's less expensive than stock and made in the same factory in Japan as the stock Yamaha. Hopefully be good to go for the next 5 yrs. Well maybe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redhurricane

Posted August 06, 2014 - 02:51 PM

What's the condition of your clutch basket "fingers"? if they are notched, this may contribute to your disengagement problem. Either file the fingers smooth again if there is minimal wear, or replace the basket.

• stevethe

Posted August 06, 2014 - 02:57 PM

What's the condition of your clutch basket "fingers"? if they are notched, this may contribute to your disengagement problem. Either file the fingers smooth again if there is minimal wear, or replace the basket.

Probably notched. But I can try the plates first by just taking the small cover off. If it doesn't work I will do the basket.

• stevethe

Posted August 07, 2014 - 04:06 PM

The Hinson kit came with fibre, metal and springs. The metal plates are smooth ? So those do not look like stock.

The stock stuff that came out wasn't that thrashed. Just a few blue metal plates. That's probably all that was wrong. Anyhow it doesn't have the terrible drag it had. So the new stuff did the trick.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 08, 2014 - 06:53 AM

Blue bad

• stevethe

Posted August 20, 2014 - 12:22 PM

So the Hinson clutch plates work well as they have little drag while in gear. However I have to go back to stock clutch springs the Hinson are way stiffer than the other WR's I have. Clutch pull is too heavy. Hope the stocker's don't slip.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 20, 2014 - 03:06 PM

Mine is not slipping with the (3) 250 springs and (2) stock springs on my Tusk clutch pack.

Dang, I should have bought something else though; the metal plates are a think as a manhole cover....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.