Legal WR426 Worth it?

Yamaha WR426F 2002

4 replies to this topic
  • supertaco

Posted July 31, 2014 - 09:35 AM

Yo, I currently ride an 02 xt225, and have an opportunity to pick up an 02 WR426f in good shape. I'm really excited cause it'd feel like a rocket compared to my xt. I'm willing to put in the time and money to get it ready to pass a street legal inspection, but I'm not sure if it even can because of the mso possibly saying "not for highway use." Does anyone know if this will work/is it worth trying? I live in Kansas. Any info will help! Thanks.

• Pooley

Posted August 02, 2014 - 05:47 AM

Not that it helps for Kansas specifics, but physically making the WR street legal is pretty easy.  The headlight comes stock with a dual-filament bulb, so all you need to do is install a hi/low switch.  The brake bulb is also dual-filament and all you need is a rear brake light switch.  In Michigan (back in 2002 or 2003), I had to do a "title-conversion" from off-road to on-road, which required installing the required items (horn, mirror, DOT tires, etc), get a policeman to inspect the bike and sign the form which went back to the DMV.  I actually had on a horn from a kids bike, with a squeeze bulb.  I went the DIY route, and the cost was really cheap.

Here is a good write up from a few years back, pics no longer have valid links, but you will get the idea.  http://www.thumperta...egal-kit-wr426/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DunmireD001

Posted August 02, 2014 - 09:56 PM

It can be passed easily as long as there are no restrictions on the title. I'm converting mine as of right now. Out if Missouri.

• supertaco

Posted August 14, 2014 - 07:22 AM

Not that it helps for Kansas specifics, but physically making the WR street legal is pretty easy.  The headlight comes stock with a dual-filament bulb, so all you need to do is install a hi/low switch.  The brake bulb is also dual-filament and all you need is a rear brake light switch.  In Michigan (back in 2002 or 2003), I had to do a "title-conversion" from off-road to on-road, which required installing the required items (horn, mirror, DOT tires, etc), get a policeman to inspect the bike and sign the form which went back to the DMV.  I actually had on a horn from a kids bike, with a squeeze bulb.  I went the DIY route, and the cost was really cheap.

Here is a good write up from a few years back, pics no longer have valid links, but you will get the idea.  http://www.thumperta...egal-kit-wr426/

Thats pretty awesome with the squeeze bulb horn haha. I ended up letting the wr pass, and picked up a beat up dr-z400s instead thinking that fixing the physical bike would be easier than dealing with the legal junk. thank you all for your posts!

• bobpara

Posted August 15, 2014 - 05:46 AM

1) You have to research titling req in Kansas. Every state is different. Here in massachusetts we have a myriad of different requirements from Mass being very strict to NH that is the exact opposite. In fact, to bring a vehicle IN to Mass, all you need is an old copy of the NH registration, and that is good enough for mass and you can then get a Mass title.....a science into itself, you really need to ask some questions of other Kansas folks with bikes

2) Inspection requirements. Mass requires EVERYTHING (blinkers, horn, kickstand, DOT approv knobbies, etc) New Hampshire only req all the stock equipment the WR comes with....just that glowing red light (no brake light) is perfectly fine !!

Bottom line is know what your state's inspection req are and build to that.....why put a $550 baja kit in the thing if Kansas is like NH ?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

best looking 426 anyone by buzzgrizz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  238 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR426F 2002 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR426F 2002
  • * * * * -
  • 12 reviews
  • Last review by Dino Dinoso
  • On November 15, 2016

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.