Fork Oil. From 5 weight to 2.5? XR650

9 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted January 26, 2004 - 11:16 AM

How does the lower fork oil weight affect handling? I noticed this recommendation for XR650's and was curious what could be expected with the lower weight on stock forks?

• TimBrp

Posted January 26, 2004 - 11:26 AM

Not really quite sure. I think it will make the pig a bit plusher in the trails but a lil more unstable at higher speeds. I called xr's only for some oil and said I need to stiffen it up and they sent me some 10w oil.

• BrianVT

Posted January 26, 2004 - 11:40 AM

I just loaded mine up with 2 1/2. I won't be able to give an opinion for a couple weeks though. I got it all stripped down.
The bottle said lighter oil is more sensitive to changes of settings (clickers).

• TimBrp

Posted January 26, 2004 - 12:56 PM

Brian, didn't you just do yours a few months ago?? :)

• BrianVT

Posted January 26, 2004 - 01:13 PM

Naw, I was just setting the sag and clickers at that time. I am running the settings you suggested, b.t.w. Thanks for that.(Edit, I just realized the settings were from John on 4Strokes.com) What are your settings Tim ?
I'm at: Forks comp. 15 out, reb. 9 out
Shock comp. 13 out, reb.16 out
I haven't experimented at all.
I don't fly my pig too high so I thought I'd try the 2 1/2 just to see how it feels in stuff like the Rocky Woods Enduro.
Cheers,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slowxr

Posted January 29, 2004 - 01:59 PM

I just serviced my XR forks after 300 miles of riding. The oil that came out of the forks was thick and sticky. I replaced it with 2.5 weight.
After riding the bike, I didn't notice much difference over the stock oil. I was able to notice a slight difference when I adjusted the compression clickers which I couldn't with the stock oil. I guess that's an improvement.

• BWB63

Posted January 29, 2004 - 05:28 PM

The biggest difference is at high speed through the the big whoops and drop offs, give a more even flow (plush) allowing for a better responce from you as the hits come.

• TimBrp

Posted January 30, 2004 - 05:13 AM

Naw, I was just setting the sag and clickers at that time. I am running the settings you suggested, b.t.w. Thanks for that.(Edit, I just realized the settings were from John on 4Strokes.com) What are your settings Tim ?
I'm at: Forks comp. 15 out, reb. 9 out
Shock comp. 13 out, reb.16 out
I haven't experimented at all.
I don't fly my pig too high so I thought I'd try the 2 1/2 just to see how it feels in stuff like the Rocky Woods Enduro.
Cheers,

Stock right now Brian...Yeah, feel for me :)..I'm getting mine done by the suspension dr on NEDB in two weeks...Can't wait.

• BrianVT

Posted January 30, 2004 - 07:16 AM

Aww mannn...now I'm gonna hear all your praise about your susp. and I'm gonna have to scrape up the coin to get mine done. I'm sure he'll set you up right.

• TimBrp

Posted January 30, 2004 - 01:21 PM

I hope he's as good as they say he is. Cheap coin man like 400-500 bucks. Beats anywhere else and he's right down the street, from me. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.