Footpeg Bolts

4 replies to this topic
  • JackAttack

Posted January 26, 2004 - 11:08 AM

I jumped off a hill and landed in a wash....snapped the right footpeg off. Not a fun experience at 40MPH. I usually check on the tightness of the bolts a couple times a month, did'nt catch it this time.

The bolts snapped clean. I drilled and used an easy-out to remove the broken studs. I don't really want to spend the $$$ on an upgraded footpeg mount. Thought I would just purchase some higher grade bolts and use gobs of thread-lock. Maybe throw in a lock-washer. What are the torq specs for the bracket bolts? I really don't want to strip out the threads in the frame.

I did a search(TT,XR650R.net) and this looks like the typical solution.

Might need to loose a few lbs. myself too.

Ride On :)

• needsprayer

Posted January 26, 2004 - 04:45 PM

Right footpeg, both front mounting bolt (socket bolt) and rear mounting bolt (flange bolt): Torque: 54 Nm, 40 lbf-ft.

Hey Jack,

Did you do this on your Baja ride? Did you take any pictures?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted January 26, 2004 - 09:32 PM

Did you do this on your Baja ride? Did you take any pictures?

No, things went pretty smooth in Mexico. I was not in Baja, but Puerto Penasco, right across the Sea of Cortez from San Felipe. I will send you some pics when I get them back.

Funny thing is, I towed a guy for almost 40 miles when his KTM520 seized in the middle of nowhere :D. Tied him off to my left footpeg. Finally get home and ride and the right peg snaps off. :) What ever happened to Karma?

• needsprayer

Posted January 27, 2004 - 06:16 AM

Looks like you have some major bragging rights now. Poor little KTM (Kingsize Towrope Mandatory) needed a BRP to drag it home. :) :D

• Baja Rudy

Posted February 02, 2004 - 07:17 AM

the bolts usually break due to stress corrosion pitting. you need to replace the bolts with NEW ones every 6-8 months(use factory ones since they are coated with that black zinc plating). the aluminum frame and the steel bolts form electrolisis and therefore the corrosion. Do not re-use the old ones; put them in the trash!!! If you don't want to spend $130 for the upgrade foot peg then this is the only safe way that I know of. the great thing about the upgrade foot peg is that it distributes the load all along the forward bolt and not just close to the frame. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.