Yamaha 426 wr/yz timing quick help

4 replies to this topic
  • carlloktm

Posted July 31, 2014 - 03:07 AM

Hi guys sorry for yet another thread

Iv built my 426 back up and just trying to get the timing rite, it's started up and running fine

Im sure this is wr timing rite? Both level? So should I just turn the exhaust cam a tooth clockwise?

Buttttt there's 12 pins between dots.. Everywhere I read 12-yz 13-wr

Probly bring stupid but want to make sure

• toad0077

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:24 AM

I just went thru this on my machine. How it is in the picture didnt work on mine. It would not start. I had to roll the exhaust cam ( on the left) one tooth counter clockwise. giving 13 pins and the horizontal dot just below the horizon ( top edge of valve cover gasket flange). 

My exhaust cam I replaced with a YZ 2008 cam with the auto comp release. Starts in one or two kicks now. so nice. No starting ritual with a lever involved, just kick it.

If yours is a stock wr 426 cam,(it looks like it is) you have the WR timing as pictured and it should go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • carlloktm

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:55 AM

Thanks toad

Yea I just built this up and it starts first kick and runs good but I want yz timing, it's stock wr cams afaik. Just wondering why it will go down to 11 pins if I advance the ex cam when eberyone says it should be 12-yz 13-wr

Guess I can try and see

• carlloktm

Posted August 01, 2014 - 07:46 AM

Anyone else ?

Could it be stretched chain ?

• Pooley

Posted August 02, 2014 - 05:49 AM

I looks like you already have YZ timing.  My punch marks line up closer to the head on both sides where yours are both slightly raised from the head.  I have WR timing.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.