Valve shim help

3 replies to this topic
  • guccimanescarwash

Posted July 30, 2014 - 11:57 AM

I started to shim my valves on my yz and when I tighten down the end bolts to exhaust cam does not want to spin

• DC_Excitement

Posted July 30, 2014 - 04:06 PM

Either the valve bucket to cam lobe clearance it too tight, or there is an issue with the cam or the bore where the cam rides on

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2014 - 05:54 AM

Be sure that the cam caps are seated by hand all the way down; never pull them down with the bolts.  Be certain to tighten them in 3 or so steps, in the sequence shown in the manual, and not one tick tighter than spec.  In fact, tighten them to 75 inch pounds instead of 86.

Check clearances with plasti-gage as shown in the manual.  Not too unusual for the intake cam to feel a bit tight in a cold head.

• guccimanescarwash

Posted July 31, 2014 - 09:19 AM

It was a burr that was holding it . I sanded it and it is fine

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.