New Owner with Carb questions

5 replies to this topic
  • pchansen

Posted January 26, 2004 - 09:11 AM

I just bought my first BRP!!!! It's a pristine '01 with a full FMF Q series and PowerBomb header/mid-pipe and only four rides on it. The only other mod is the pilot has been "adjusted". I'm not sure what that means. The power seems very strong and idles and starts easy, although I have no baseline in which to compare but was wondering if the stock 125 main in conjunction with the after-market exhaust is making this pig run lean. Does the standard recipe for un-corking (170 main, carb manifold changed , airbox opened, pilot changed out to the "68s",and the clip moved to the 4th position) apply with the FMF exhaust? Any input would be appreciated.

• XR250rdr

Posted January 26, 2004 - 10:27 AM

I would say definitely! Not sure how well the Q flows in comparison to the stock uncorked pipe, but I would guess they arent too far off.

• Kritter

Posted January 26, 2004 - 12:39 PM

I was told putting a pipe on without uncorking it will make it run worse then stock corked!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted January 26, 2004 - 06:46 PM

For sure any engine with an opened up exhaust will benenfit big time from an opened up intake. If you want some serious power increase-go with the 175 or even 178 main jet, the 68s, and do the full uncorking (include the manifold, aribox mods) then do the cut-outs on the airfilter cover plate. The cut outs are amazingly effective...its no wonder Team Honda races with that set up.
After than its time for a stage 2 cam....

• qadsan

Posted January 26, 2004 - 09:36 PM

Here's some info to get you to a starting point to work from.

• pchansen

Posted January 30, 2004 - 08:20 PM

Thank's everyone! I ordered a 170 main, 68s pilot, unresrticted carb insulator, and a new thermostat just for good measure. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Paul :)
PS: I'm riding from sea level to about 2500'. I'll experiment with a larger main once I get everything else ironed out.

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.