What is you favorite dual sport kit for WR450, and why?

36 replies to this topic
  • road_toad666

Posted July 28, 2014 - 09:45 PM

I am in the market for a dual sport kit for a new WR450 I bought (2011 model) and have come across a few choices. 

There is the Baja Designs kit, which is a bit pricey- and looks like pretty good quality. I am unimpressed with the lack of photos of what is included on their site, and having to modify the stator is a turn off to me. The "all in one" headlight option is cool and simplifies things, but I would prefer to keep the factory headlight and alter it to have hi/low beams. I know they offer a kit without the "all in one" self contained cluster headlight assembly, but the turn signals are analog and look pretty cheap and cheesy from what I can tell. 

Then,, there is the Ryco kit- it is slightly cheaper than the high end Baja kit, and about the same as the "without headlight" Baja kit. I am leaning toward the Ryco, as it doesn't require any stator modification, and utilizes the factory head and tail light assemblies. They claim no factory harness butchering, and easy, straightforward installation. The aluminum license plate holder is pretty trick, too. 

Last is the Tusk kit. It is very affordable at around $160, and I saw a guy on Youtube that had the LED turn signals built right into the Tusk bark busters. Clean, looks good, and best of all, very highly visible. What makes me weary on the Tusk kit is the one product I bought from Tusk some years back was a clutch kit, and it literally overheated and failed after only a couple of rides, whereas my factory Honda clutch had lasted nearly 2 years doing the same type of riding. 

So, I figured if there was anywhere to go to get the low-down on these kits I listed, and possibly some I don't even know about yet, this is the place to find it. 

What kits do you guys have, what are the perks and pitfalls, and what do you like or hate about them? I only want to do this once. 

Thanks for your input, I am back after a 4 year hiatus. -Josh

• GP1K

Posted July 29, 2014 - 05:18 AM

You forgot Sicass Racing. Also good stuff, but also about as much money as Baja Designs.

FWIW, Tusk kits (at least for 2012+ WRs) are on backorder til at least the end of August. Not sure if that affects older models though.

• stevethe

Posted July 29, 2014 - 05:54 AM

I use both the Ryco and the Baja designs. I also do not like the Baja designs headlight or tail light set up. I use the stock headlight and the Ryco bracket for the rear plate and rear turn signals on both bikes.

With the Baja designs floated stator I think it makes a better street bike as the headlight is more consistent as it runs off of DC power it's brighter at idle. Like a street bike.

I am using the Ryco kit on the dirt bike it's pretty simple to install as well. On the rear plate bracket I drilled through the fender to use nuts and bolts so I don't loose it. It also accepts flush mount turn signals that I somehow have not ripped off yet and you get the factory tail light. It's a good set up.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 29, 2014 - 05:56 AM

Tusk kits last about 1 year if you ride alot.

Baja design kits last about 5 years

Baja Design kits use real copper in the wires (does on oxidize and corrode),  the harness are ample in length, and the fitting are very good.

You can get the BD kit with LED instead of incandesent or HD, and then you can use the stock stator.

Call them up. They are accomodating.

• cracker please

Posted July 29, 2014 - 06:12 AM

I like the sicass easy fit taillight because you don't have to drill any holes in the fender.  You can get an edge 2 and make your own spacers if you're cheap like me.  12 o'clock labs makes an integrated turn signal board for it.  Flashers on the handguards are nice.  You can get the chinese turn signal switch that sicass and baja designs rebrands cheaper elsewhere.  Have to wire it all up yourself but it's not that bad.

• road_toad666

Posted July 29, 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

I'm gonna have to look into what Sicass has to offer, I've not heard of them until now.

My 4 year vacancy from TT has led me find they've fixed it until it's broke while I was vacated, I literally had to google search the title of my post to be able to navigate to it.

Money spent really isn't an issue on this kit, provided I get the features I desire, and the quality and longevity are good.

I didn't know BD would custom build you a kit, their website kind of conveyed a "my way or the highway" undertone to it.

What would work good for me is:

HID or LED headlight in the stock housing
Flush mount LED turn signals
Head and tail lights that can be turned off at the switch cluster

Also, does anyone know of a direct fit fork lock for this bike? I'm a well equipped welder/fabricator and I'm looking for a locking device that can be fit or modified to it.

I know it's not an enormous degree of theft deterrent, as it's so light- but when a thief has to spend 2 hours hacking and beating a steering lock in order to get the reward of a cheap thrill joyride, it removes some of the incentive. Let's face it- most thieve are stupid, poorly equipped, and lazy. A fork lock prevents one guy from jus hot wiring and riding it away, or riding it up a ramp into a truck. It also adds the complication of securing more than one party willing to conspire to commit grand theft to load it into a truck by hand with the forks locked.

• cracker please

Posted July 29, 2014 - 11:25 AM

Maybe a brake disc lock?

• stevethe

Posted July 29, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Yea if you really want some security you might consider a locking disc alarm.

• road_toad666

Posted July 29, 2014 - 01:31 PM

I had no idea anyone even offered such a product. Does it lock the wheel to the fork? Curious cuz if it just locks the rotor, the incentive to steal it is still high since it's a simple wheel swap away from being rideable..

• stevethe

Posted July 29, 2014 - 01:35 PM

I had no idea anyone even offered such a product. Does it lock the wheel to the fork? Curious cuz if it just locks the rotor, the incentive to steal it is still high since it's a simple wheel swap away from being rideable..

No wheel to fork lock.

The idea is if touched the alarm goes off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GP1K

Posted July 29, 2014 - 01:35 PM

Yes it just locks the rotor from turning so you can't just ride or wheel the bike away. But determined (read: professional) thieves won't dick with that stuff, they'll just pick up your bike, toss it in a van or truck etc and deal with your locks/alarms etc. later.

What it does do is protect you from the casual thief/joy rider just looking for an easy opportunity.

• road_toad666

Posted July 29, 2014 - 06:08 PM

I think I'm going to stay on the search for a fork lock that I can incorporate on the fork yoke and frame tube. It would be nice to be a fork lock/ignition combo, but that's doubtful due to room constraints.. A bit of shaping and some TIG, I could probably whip up something that'll work well and look close to like it belongs there..

• road_toad666

Posted July 29, 2014 - 08:32 PM

This thing runs like totally unpolished turd! Can't wait until the JD and GYTR kits show up.. Pretty tired of the idle and trying-to-get-off-an-idle stalls! Never been into this particular type of carb before, hopefully there's no learning curve involved. Anyone have the adjustable pump shot that's offered on here? Worth the $$? Or where to get a remote control idle mixture screw?

• KennyMc

Posted July 30, 2014 - 06:22 AM

I have had the Baja Designs kit on my '07 WR since '09 and it has never given me any problems. Back then you had to run there front headlight. I have since upgraded to there new front harness that comes in there new kit to allow you to run the stock headlight. It looks much better IMO.

I am not extremely electrically inclined but I was able to install it myself without any trouble. I did pay them the $30 to float the ground on the stator. I was not comfortable doing that.

As for the Tusk kit, while people may quote you "what they heard" experiences with them, my riding buddy has had it on his 450X for 2 years now without a problem. That is another very good option and one that is less expensive. There is no stator modification needed with it either.

• stevethe

Posted July 30, 2014 - 06:47 AM

This thing runs like totally unpolished turd! Can't wait until the JD and GYTR kits show up.. Pretty tired of the idle and trying-to-get-off-an-idle stalls! Never been into this particular type of carb before, hopefully there's no learning curve involved. Anyone have the adjustable pump shot that's offered on here? Worth the $$? Or where to get a remote control idle mixture screw?

They do not run worth a darn without the GYTR or other kit. I run an adjustable leak jet on mine. You can order a Yamaha GYTR mixture screw.

• road_toad666

Posted July 30, 2014 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the info, Kenny- you just cleared up multiple questions I had about the competing kits.

• road_toad666

Posted July 30, 2014 - 07:37 AM

Stevethe- thank you also. I have already ordered both the JD kit and the GYTR kit from the TT store. I also went to buy the Quickshot 3 from the TT store, but to no avail. Not available. Merge says the stiffer spring is discontinued for the AP.

Do the JD and GYTR not have the idle adjustment screw with them?

Hoping all this stuff shows by Friday, my time is much more valuable than tearing bikes apart these days, that's why the extra money buying everything is well spent- it will save me money in the long run if I only have to go into it once.

I guess if it doesn't come with an idle mixture screw in either of the kits I bought, than I can poke around on here to find a good one that has the remote adjustment knob?

• stevethe

Posted July 30, 2014 - 07:42 AM

Stevethe- thank you also. I have already ordered both the JD kit and the GYTR kit from the TT store. I also went to buy the Quickshot 3 from the TT store, but to no avail. Not available. Merge says the stiffer spring is discontinued for the AP.

Do the JD and GYTR not have the idle adjustment screw with them?

Hoping all this stuff shows by Friday, my time is much more valuable than tearing bikes apart these days, that's why the extra money buying everything is well spent- it will save me money in the long run if I only have to go into it once.

I guess if it doesn't come with an idle mixture screw in either of the kits I bought, than I can poke around on here to find a good one that has the remote adjustment knob?

I don't know about the JD jet kit but the GYTR does not come with the screw.

• KennyMc

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:58 PM

By idle adjustment do you mean the air/fuel mixture screws?  If that is what you are talking about, no, non of the kits come with those. The best ones are the ones that are brass as opposed to aluminum.

https://www.mergerac...ixtureScrew.php

• road_toad666

Posted July 31, 2014 - 08:45 AM

I ordered an R&D idle mixture screw, the remote style one. Hope it's worth the $30, but getting the job done right the first time around without backpeddling is very important to me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.