Doesn't start on first kick anymore ? (2012 WR450F)

5 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted July 28, 2014 - 09:33 PM

I removed the estart from my 2012 WR450F.

Last season it reliably started on the first kick, even if stalled when hot.

This year its generally not starting on the first kick.  I can't figure out why.

Here are some things I checked and did

- fresh fuel, 93 octane

- cleaned the air filter

- changed oil

- bumped idle mixture up from the stock C1 setting of 0 to 8.The

My bike generally starts well.  It runs very well too.  Lots of power.   It doesn't use any oil.

Why isn't it starting on the first kick anymore ?  Time to check the valves ?  Dirty fuel filter ? Poor spark ? 

Thanks !

• mikenash

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:33 AM

Start simple see if fuel pump comes on then move to spark then on to valves. Also check all your connections. Good Luck

• beezer

Posted July 29, 2014 - 08:26 AM

I'd check the valves.  When they close up the bike gets harder to start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vlxjim

Posted July 29, 2014 - 08:41 AM

A friend of mine that builds motocross bikes for a living and who's son is a Yamaha sponsored rider. When I ask him about valve adjustments he told me every Yamaha well tell you when it needs adjustment. He said if it starts its good. Its when it starts different or is hard to start that you need the adjust the valves.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted July 29, 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thanks, guys.  Looks like I'll be checking my valve clearances.

• revyrider

Posted July 29, 2014 - 03:54 PM

My '07 has recently been hard to start cold. let me know if adjusting valve clearance

helps solve your issue.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.