Race motor, what can I expect?

9 replies to this topic
  • WILLIAMS37

Posted July 28, 2014 - 06:04 PM

Well, did about half the research I should have but cracked the wallet open anyways. I have a crosworth 13.75:1 piston and gytr cams on their way for my 08 yz450f. Few questions some of you might be able to help me with. Any issues using an oem head gasket? Or oem valve springs? What will these parts do to my jetting? And what octane fuel can I get away with at sea level? Any help at all would be great as I'm not finding much with this compression ratio and cam specs.

• carlloktm

Posted July 29, 2014 - 12:10 PM

I'd also like to know about that

• swaldrop

Posted July 29, 2014 - 01:06 PM

Problems and headaches that otherwise would never have been... That is what you should expect :)

All cynicism aside, the bike will no doubt perform better. I just never understand why, especially on a 450, anyone would sacrifice a proven motor like this for a little bit of extra power.

• carlloktm

Posted July 29, 2014 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for ur input

So is it common to have problems with high compression pistons then ?

• swaldrop

Posted July 29, 2014 - 01:46 PM

So is it common to have problems with high compression pistons then ?

It has been my experience, both personally and through proxy, that any time you start changing things with the engine beyond the OEM spec you will create problems for yourself. My input is nothing more than me speculating as I can't say for sure if these specific mods will be an issue or not. So, take it for what it's worth, which isn't a whole lot in this case.

That said, it's a freakin 450! It's already a beast. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • carlloktm

Posted July 29, 2014 - 01:51 PM

Ok thanks a lot

Think I'm just going to keep standard for a while

Mines 426 though not 450

• WILLIAMS37

Posted July 29, 2014 - 04:27 PM

Appreciate the heads up, but I have a stock 450 to ride whenever this will be for racing only, so it's not like I'm expecting 400 hours out of it. But some insight on tuning it in would be mighty helpful. Most of these parts are getting pretty close on the shipping tracker! Btw this build is a motor learning experience, I know it wont sound practical to most.

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2014 - 07:10 AM

If the listing for the GYT-R cams don't specify that certain springs must be used, fresh OEM springs are good.  The OEM head gasket, correctly installed, is also plenty well up to the job.  High compression will generally tend to richen the very low end, and not particularly affect the high end.  Cams?  Just have to run it and see.

Pump gas works in most cases, but 13.75 is a little high, and together with sea level riding, you might have to go up a point or two.  Pump gas is AKI 91/92, which would give it an approximate Motor Octane of about 87/88, or a Research octane of 95/96.  If you go with race gas, look for one blended for 4-stroke bikes that has a Motor number in the 90-95 range. (Research Octane, ~100)

• WILLIAMS37

Posted July 30, 2014 - 05:01 PM

If the listing for the GYT-R cams don't specify that certain springs must be used, fresh OEM springs are good.  The OEM head gasket, correctly installed, is also plenty well up to the job.  High compression will generally tend to richen the very low end, and not particularly affect the high end.  Cams?  Just have to run it and see.

Pump gas works in most cases, but 13.75 is a little high, and together with sea level riding, you might have to go up a point or two.  Pump gas is AKI 91/92, which would give it an approximate Motor Octane of about 87/88, or a Research octane of 95/96.  If you go with race gas, look for one blended for 4-stroke bikes that has a Motor number in the 90-95 range.

Appreciate your valuable input Gray, doesn't seem as daunting or impractical as I first assumed. Shipping date changed from friday to august 5th to torture me no doubt.  I live in an area where I have access to vp and sunoco race fuel, sounds like ill be doing some reading up on research octane, but happy I may be able to get by with a mix of 93 pump and u4.4. 

This whole project came about because I assumed and set money aside to replace my warped head.  After tearing it down though,  I found my head to be still perfectly flat, but the cylinder had wear marks on opposite sides of the wall where it had worn completely through the nikasil.  I didn't install the piston but I can only assume that attention wasn't given to the correct way the rings go on.  Learning as I go,  but I know I care about my bike more than someone who is on the clock and wanting to go home.  Should hopefully make some power without being the deepest sounding 2 stroke on the track now  :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2014 - 05:44 AM

25 years ago, any engine that had worn that far into a plated cylinder would have peeled off a chunk of it and blown parts all over a 30 foot radius.  The improvements made in last several years are stunning, taken in context.

I doubt it had anything to do with ring orientation.  More likely just simple wear; too much time on the thing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.