Yz426f trail bike ?

7 replies to this topic
  • mercer137

Posted July 27, 2014 - 02:43 PM

So I just picked up a 2002 yz426, I got a really good deal on it but I'm having some issues with it as it goes for trail riding. For example ... It's like a God damn wild animal and just wants to go all the time!.. I've been reading about ppl getting a higher tooth sprocket for more torque and since my problem is too much of it I was wondering how low I should go ? Currently I have a 52t rear and I think a 14 front not sure about that one though ... I would prefer to only replace one to keep things on the cheap.

• billygildark5007

Posted July 27, 2014 - 08:53 PM

The front sprocket would be the cheapest to replace although it's recommended to be doing chain and sprockets at the same time. Not sure if your cases have the clearance for a 15 front. Double check your not running a 13 now.

• AKmotoXrider907

Posted July 27, 2014 - 10:01 PM

I have the same bike as you and same gearing setup. First, I'd say get a 50 tooth rear sprocket on it. Should be like $100 or less. And your supposed to replace all the the sprockets and chain at once. And if your riding trails, try and get a higher pressure coolant cap. (Like $10) so your bike won't over heat. I have a 1.6 in mine now. (They're usually 1.1 stock) hope this helps.

• mercer137

Posted July 27, 2014 - 10:05 PM

K I didn't order the sproket this time around I will just get both and a chain next order. And I must have at least a 1.6 in now I would think cuz I just had it out for a 5 hour ride in at least 30° weather and didn't have a single boil over

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AKmotoXrider907

Posted July 27, 2014 - 10:23 PM

Alright. Cause I know mine would over heat at 23 degrees or so. If you get a 50 in the rear let me know how it works! Good luck!

• G-BRO

Posted July 28, 2014 - 10:02 AM

I've had the best trail results with a 13/52T on my 426.

Bottom line is your going to have to do A LOT of clutch work in the slower stuff. This bike wasn't designed to go slow. A rekluse clutch is a fix for this, but is quite expensive. A flywheel weight also helps, but they are hard to come by.

Your going to have to learn to tame the beast! I really enjoy mine. Have fun!

• mercer137

Posted July 28, 2014 - 12:51 PM

Do any of you guys find the clutch pull on the 426 really heavy ? On my last ride I was switching up with an 02 ktm520 exc ( hydraulic clutch ) maybe the ktm being easy was throughing me off but I found toward the end of the ride I was stalling more Wich I attributed to my hand being tired.

• seacraft69

Posted July 28, 2014 - 01:21 PM

Front sprockets wear faster than the rear and replacing them will extend the life of your chain. I've seen it myself on my dr650.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.