Recommendation for cutting valve seats

3 replies to this topic
  • Pooley

Posted July 26, 2014 - 06:37 PM

With the help of TrailriderJoe, we tore down my 01WR426 today to troubleshoot a hard starting/non-starting issue.  This bike has somewhere between 13,000 - 15,000 miles of singletrack since I bought the bike new in 2001.  The valves had never been adjusted to this point.  Unfortunately with my current feeler gauges, I cannot actually measure the middle intake valve because the feeler doesn't fit between the casting, so that particular valve clearance had not been measured recently.  The other 4 valves clearances are still within specs, 0.10 mm for the intakes (0.10-0.15 mm spec), and 0.20 mm for the exhausts (0.20-0.25 mm spec).  What we found to be the culprit of low/no compression was the center intake valve that had hammered the valve seat, leaking compression and now it definitely needs to be recut.  

Is there a well respected shop that folks use to cut valve seats?  I know Myler's is the one-and-only for repairing radiators, is there a similar shop for doing head work?  I am in Michigan, so someone local would be a bonus, but I can ship out the head wherever needed.  I definitely want to have someone who knows what they are doing, and will do a quality job versus a some hack who is just cheap.

I would assume at this point I should do all 5 valves and seats just for the sake of being thorough.  I am not decided yet on SS versus the titanium valves, but I know cost is a big difference.  I am inclined to go with OEM titanium just because that is what the bike was actually designed for, and they did last for 13.5 years at roughly 1,000+ miles of singletrack a year.  

Any recommendations for shops?

I was reading old posts and it appears that the center intake is typically a culprit for valve failures, wearing first or whatever valve problem exists.  Is there a specific reason the center intake valve is the first to go?  

Thanks.

• stevethe

Posted July 27, 2014 - 06:05 AM

http://www.mt-llc.com/ these guys are well known and respected for cylinder plating. I'm sure they wont mess up a valve job.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2014 - 10:55 AM

http://www.mt-llc.com/ these guys are well known and respected for cylinder plating. I'm sure they wont mess up a valve job.

If I lived in Michigan, that's where I'd go unless I could get a good local recommendation.

If you take a pair of decent ordinary scissors, you can trim the sides of a feeler gauge blade to fit the center intake.

If I owned a 426, I would rebuild it using the stainless valves and springs from the 2000 model (or the 400; same parts). Significant savings without a significant performance hit, and probably even more durable.

• Pooley

Posted July 27, 2014 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the secondary recommendation for Millenium, Grayracer.  A second set of feeler gauges is now in my toolbox, waiting some trimming like you described.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.