'12+ WR450: "Sand in Motor" fix, with pictures

25 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 26, 2014 - 11:11 AM

Get yourself a new mechanic as well, as he doesn't appear to know that much

He didn't know about the autodecompression pin.  Something did come between the cam and the bucket... the decompression pin.   I agree it was a long shot theory.   Certainly had us scratching our heads.   I never even thought of the pin.   Many thanks for the quick reply... I didn't ride my bike last weekend because of this !

• GuyGraham

Posted August 27, 2014 - 02:42 AM

Every modern four stroke uses this system, so it shouldn't be that much of a 'new' discovery to him

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 29, 2014 - 05:12 AM

Every modern four stroke uses this system, so it shouldn't be that much of a 'new' discovery to him

No more centrifigal clutch either.  Is this a John Deer dealership maybe?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buhlockay

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:22 PM

OK, I think I've got a better fix than the one I posted above.

Woods-Rider was correct, I had not thought it all the way through...

So, here's a no-mod fix that I think will satisfy everyone.

The part is from an air compressor filtration system.

The pictures show details that the Grainger catalog description do not give.

It's made from brass. It weights about the same as a couple pennies. That is, it's "heavy", but does not look like it. It flows a lot of air through the tapered sides, but not much through the bullit looking top part. You can not see through it, no light will pass. It's porous looking, identical to the brass material in the in-line gas filters (like the one shown above).

I can push a substantial amount of air through it with very little resistance. The catalog says it's a 40 micron filter, I believe them. It's for sure not gonna pass anything as large as a sand particle.

I also think it will flow sufficient air to accommodate the 500cm at 10K RPMs rate that it needs to manage.

The key to understanding that last statement is to look closely at the part. It's tapered. So, placing it in a hose interior is an option, since the sides will not be blocked, and so can move air. It's also hollow, exposing more surface area to pass air.

I noticed two other mounting options: It fits exactly into the air box plastic hole. 7/16 in. diameter at the base. Voila! No mod mounting.

It fits from either side of the air box opening. I chose the exterior position with a drop of super glue to hold it in place. It snugged right in, a perfect fit. The hose fit back over the embedded part no problems.

Don't use too much glue, you might want to get it back out some day (clean / replace).

It was less than $3 bucks. Nice!

Mebgardner, do you have an update on how this is working out?

• mebgardner

Posted June 04, 2015 - 06:39 AM

I do.

It's working fine, no issues that I know of.  I occasionally look in the air filter door (routine maint checks), and I do not see any problem arising from the insertion of this filter / trap into the breather line.

I think it's "good to go".

• buhlockay

Posted June 04, 2015 - 10:38 AM

I do.

It's working fine, no issues that I know of. I occasionally look in the air filter door (routine maint checks), and I do not see any problem arising from the insertion of this filter / trap into the breather line.

I think it's "good to go".

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I'm heading to the sand next month and I will definitely use this mod.

Cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.