AVGAS

2 replies to this topic
  • F624ZY20

Posted January 22, 2002 - 06:19 AM

Can you use AV-GAS in a 4-stroke. All I can find at the pump is 91 octane gas. The manual recommends 95 octane.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tommy_Gun

Posted January 22, 2002 - 06:48 AM

Yes, you can use Avgas for thumps. I suggest mixing it say about 20% Avgas and the rest pump. This is a good mix especially in the winter when most gas is oxygenated. Not as good as race gas, but next best thing.
-Tom

• mikeolichney

Posted January 22, 2002 - 07:53 AM

Originally posted by F624ZY20:
Can you use AV-GAS in a 4-stroke. All I can find at the pump is 91 octane gas. The manual recommends 95 octane.

Check your manual again. There are three octane rating ssytems: RON (research octane number), MON (Motor octane number), and (R+M)/2, (the average of the other two). What you read on the pump is (R+M)/2, due to a bad decision by our congress. The manual specs one of the other numbers. 91 octane pump gas is what I use, just make sure there is no ethanol in it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.