Bent Timing Chain Guide? - 2005 WR450

6 replies to this topic
  • u83AAf3

Posted July 25, 2014 - 11:33 AM

So I accidentally turned the crank the wrong way on my 2005 WR450 and I think I bent the Timing Chain Guide (maybe). It makes a slight knocking noise - slight as in I didn't notice anything for sometime. Under a load it make a more prominent rattling/knocking noise.

Few questions:

Did I really bend the timing chain guide?

How hard is it to replace the guide?

How much damage am I doing ridding it?

Edited by u83AAf3, July 25, 2014 - 11:34 AM.

• Flagstaff

Posted July 25, 2014 - 09:04 PM

So I accidentally turned the crank the wrong way on my 2005 WR450 and I think I bent the Timing Chain Guide (maybe). It makes a slight knocking noise - slight as in I didn't notice anything for sometime. Under a load it make a more prominent rattling/knocking noise.

Few questions:

I think you're OK, I had an '06, but really don't know. Check the WR450 forum.

Mike

• RebelRider724

Posted July 25, 2014 - 09:07 PM

How did you turn the crank the wrong way? I don't see how that could bend the timing chain guide

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NEKOOHC

Posted July 26, 2014 - 02:22 AM

Few questions:

My question is ... How could it bend the Guide ?

• flyandride

Posted July 26, 2014 - 06:02 AM

To replace the guide the head has to come off.  

• u83AAf3

Posted July 26, 2014 - 08:07 PM

So doing some more research I'm thinking it's just time for rebuild. I've put over 4k miles on it so far this year.

I'll open it up next week and see what is making the noise. I'm betting its the connecting rod bearings.

Edited by u83AAf3, July 26, 2014 - 08:10 PM.

• u83AAf3

Posted October 08, 2014 - 10:53 AM

Had the folks at fastheads.com give it the once over. Nothing was badly warn out. Everything had a small amount of wear. Just got the motor back we will see how it sounds.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.