Why is my bike so easy to kick over?

6 replies to this topic
  • steve1169

Posted July 25, 2014 - 05:15 AM

I took it in for a valve check/adjustment and a leak down test.
The guy took the engine right out and tore it down checking everything out because I just bought it.
Leak down test was perfect.
Since I got it back it kicks over VERY easily. Unless I get it to TDC then kick it it's super easy to kick over now.
Still starts no problem, still has tons of power, just kicking over is like a knife through butter.
It's a 04 wr450 by the way.
Any ideas would be appreciated

• Still Bill

Posted July 25, 2014 - 05:33 AM

Maybe because it is running good?  Try running the gas dry and see if it is still the same. 

I thought my old KTM 200 felt soft one day.  So, I slowly kicked it - very slowly - it seemed like compression was zero - and then suddenly it started!

Reminds me of an old Model A trick - shut off engine with throttle open.  Turn on ignition after engine stops.  Move spark advance lever - engine starts without touching starter!

Or, maybe you only "think" it is running great.  Maybe it has low compression and could be much faster?

• ickfinger

Posted July 25, 2014 - 06:04 AM

Maybe, just maybe, the mechanic has everything adjusted to spec and it is starting the way it's supposed to. Could have been out of spec before.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LoonRider

Posted July 25, 2014 - 06:22 AM

Don't know if the bike has it, but an auto decomp in the cams. I thought the same thing with my bike.

• DR.billZ

Posted July 25, 2014 - 06:34 AM

Lemme get this straight, you have a Yamaha 4 stroke and it starts easy? I'd say a prayer and thank the man!

• Fattonz

Posted July 25, 2014 - 10:22 AM

Don't know if the bike has it, but an auto decomp in the cams. I thought the same thing with my bike.

This was my thought.....maybe decompress was not working before, but now is.

Also, as stated, everything is in spec now? But I would expect a bike to kick over a bit harder when everything in is spec vs not....but I'm not a 4T guy.....

• ickfinger

Posted July 25, 2014 - 10:54 AM

This was my thought.....maybe decompress was not working before, but now is.

Also, as stated, everything is in spec now? But I would expect a bike to kick over a bit harder when everything in is spec vs not....but I'm not a 4T guy.....

If the valves were tight they were holding in compression quicker/longer

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.