New to me wr450f

8 replies to this topic
  • nardski659

Posted July 24, 2014 - 03:08 AM

Hey everyone, I just picked up my first wr450f the other day. It's an 08 and the previous owner said there is under 40 hours on the bike. It is in great shape, and I love it! He put a full fmf TI exhaust on it with a megabomb header and I was wondering if any of you found that it needed rejetting after all the free mods an exhaust. PO said he hasn't touched the carb.It starts a little harder than my yz, if I use the button it just keeps turning over unless I roll the throttle very slightly. Just seeing if this is normal a it's my first electric start bike. It runs fine once started, no bog, plenty of power and once it's warm, the button will start it almost immediately. Thanks for any input

Edited by nardski659, July 24, 2014 - 03:14 AM.

• nardski659

Posted July 24, 2014 - 04:58 AM

Did a quick search, I guess I need to check out the jets and bump up the starter jet to a 72? Does that really fix the issue?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 24, 2014 - 05:00 AM

You must re jet

Even stock it is lean, so creating less restriction makes it leaner still

Read the FAQ section about jetting

Pump the throttle two time or more instead of rolling the throttle when starting

• stevethe

Posted July 24, 2014 - 05:11 AM

One thing for sure you can't run completely stock jetting. They really wont run for darn with the stock stuff. Most used bikes usually have the GYTR jet and block off kit installed. You'll have to check.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nardski659

Posted July 24, 2014 - 05:39 AM

Ok. I have tried everything from 1 to 5 twists before attempting to start. Kick and e start, I guess I'll take the carb out and see what's goin on. It runs great which is confusing because I figured if it were too lean it wouldn't run right. PO said that's why he didn't re jet, it ran so nicely. But it'll be nice to know what's in there at least. Thanks for the replies

• DrFeelGood

Posted July 24, 2014 - 10:35 AM

Ok. I have tried everything from 1 to 5 twists before attempting to start. Kick and e start, I guess I'll take the carb out and see what's goin on. It runs great which is confusing because I figured if it were too lean it wouldn't run right. PO said that's why he didn't re jet, it ran so nicely. But it'll be nice to know what's in there at least. Thanks for the replies

I got my 08 new and put on full FMF right away.  I put the JD jet kit in and jetted according to the sticky at the top of the forum.

Every year I have to remove the carb and clean the jets or it begins starting hard and running lean.  After they're cleaned it starts easily with 2 twists of the throttle and a little choke at the beginning of the day.

Word to the wise..... getting the carb off is no easy task.  While you have it off, install a "flex-jet" air/fuel mixture screw.  It'll make your life a TON easier if you have to lean or richen it up.  (I have to adjust mine richer when the weather gets cooler).

• DonnieD

Posted July 24, 2014 - 11:33 AM

My 05 is jetted and starts very easy..the previous owner gave me the starting ritual sequence, which is the "sweet spot" and starts great.

But take my FZ1 (and all of the carb models for that matter) they run great but somewhat difficult to start. Jet it and it starts almost like fuel injection. 

• nardski659

Posted July 25, 2014 - 03:13 AM

I'll figure it out eventually, once I got the ritual down for my yz450f, it starts on the first kick EVERY time. What a difference between the two bikes though! I have my yz set up for trails but the way the wr is so much more comfortable!

• splynter

Posted July 26, 2014 - 12:27 AM

Contact FMF and ask for the jet kit to suit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.