YZ 450 2014 LOWERING LINK

31 replies to this topic
  • WR450HOOLIGAN

Posted August 04, 2014 - 09:07 AM

While waiting on my lowering link i moved my forks up WAY to far at 10mm because at the time it didn't seem like it was all that much and i'm short. When i received the link it said i should have done 4mm... But i read that Friday night while installing the link and i had a ride at 5 am Saturday so i left the forks that way.. :naughty:  It was horrible this way to say the least. Front end was digging really bad in the soft stuff and was randomly washing out on me. Was a bad ride. Anyways i'll definitely be moving them up to the 4mm they recommend and get back to you guys.

• sesker15

Posted August 05, 2014 - 01:13 PM

I changed too many things at once to make a definitive decision as to say that the link was the hot ticket. I can say though with what I have done, the front tire sticks like glue and the bike rails corners.

Do you mind sharing? I'm a yamaha
fan boy and I rode the 14 yz450 at a demo day. I like everything about the bike except how light and unplanted the front end feels.

• JS264

Posted August 05, 2014 - 07:36 PM

Do you mind sharing? I'm a yamaha
fan boy and I rode the 14 yz450 at a demo day. I like everything about the bike except how light and unplanted the front end feels.

Refer to post #16

• WR450HOOLIGAN

Posted August 11, 2014 - 01:27 PM

I finally got to go out with the sag set properly and the forks moved down and it felt better but I had a few unexpected front end washouts. I never seemed to have this happen before the link.. In longer stretches of really soft sand it still seemed to be digging more the before as well.. Maybe I should put the forks back to factory setting?? Anyone else having this issue?

• drtrcr400

Posted August 11, 2014 - 05:06 PM

I finally got to go out with the sag set properly and the forks moved down and it felt better but I had a few unexpected front end washouts. I never seemed to have this happen before the link.. In longer stretches of really soft sand it still seemed to be digging more the before as well.. Maybe I should put the forks back to factory setting?? Anyone else having this issue?

Most people raise the forks in the clamps lowering the front to level out the bike in combination with the link. Did you simply word your post
incorrectly?

• WR450HOOLIGAN

Posted August 11, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Well on my first attempt I raised my forks too far. Around 10mm. It dug REALLY bad and a lot of unexpected wash outs in sand so I moved them to 4mm raised and it seems to still dig and wash out. I ride mainly single track. AZ desert hard pack and random sand sections

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jc6711

Posted August 11, 2014 - 10:44 PM

Setup I'm running with the PC link:

160LB 5'11"

.47 kg/mm fork springs

5.7 kg/mm shock spring

Forks 8mm up in clamps

103mm sag

Subframe 20mm lower than stock

5mm lower footpegs

Bridgestone M203 front tire

Handles fantastic

I am probably gonna copy your setup man! Considering you are about the same size as me and we ride the same tracks. My bikes completely stock, and I know I can be faster on it if I actually try and set it up right. 

• JS264

Posted August 12, 2014 - 06:17 AM

I am probably gonna copy your setup man! Considering you are about the same size as me and we ride the same tracks. My bikes completely stock, and I know I can be faster on it if I actually try and set it up right. 

Go with a 5.5 or 5.6 shock spring unless you are heavier than me.   The 5.7 was on the edge of too stiff to get proper sag numbers.  5.6 was perfect.  Trying a 5.5 right now to experiment.

• yzUSMCf

Posted August 14, 2014 - 06:43 AM

I really don't see were the unplanted feeling ppl are talking about comes from in my opinion the front hooks really well especially on flat turns you point it grabs and goes were you point it and the rear slides around a little and follows. In stock form. Thing I notice is that its really easy to turn(I guess you can call it a light front end. I like that tho) its not like a street bike for example were you feel the resistance and have to push to get it to turn. I've got a gopro Vid and you can visually see how well front end hooks ..just hugs the turns

• JS264

Posted August 17, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Well, got my suspension re-valved.  That was a poor investment so far...

Now I learned what the loose front end feel is like and how it feels to have my bones rattled on every jump and bump and clank out everywhere.  Time for re-valve #3.

• WARider525

Posted August 19, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Really? Three times? Who is doing your suspension work? Hopefully they are not charging you every time.

• JS264

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:10 PM

Only charged for the first revalve.  Won't name names unless we can't get something good figured out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.