YZ 450 2014 LOWERING LINK

31 replies to this topic
  • Envisage

Posted July 23, 2014 - 12:58 AM

Hi be keen to hear from anyomne running one of these, which make & length, & how they've found the before & after, what sort of tracks you ride etc etc

Found the bike to be "hi in the rear" generally.

• YamaLink

Posted July 24, 2014 - 10:34 AM

The key to aftermarket links is resetting sag and being properly sprung for the extra leverage of the new link.

Depending on your weight you may need a heavier spring if the linkage chosen has a lot of leverage (lowering amount). Otherwise it may wallow, bottom easily, understeer, etc. And - NO - putting more sag to lower the rear is not the answer. I've seen many bikes with 5, 6 and 7 inches of sag just to make it lower. These riders do not undertand the importance of sag and don't realize their overall net travel is decreased with their increased sag and the bike is actually riding more harsh and handling like crap.

After resetting race sag then you can raise the forks up in the clamps a few mm based on what you did with the bike's rear. There is no 1:1 lowering ratio of front vs rear. Like everything else it's all about setup and fine tuning based on personal preference.

Lowering links are a bad idea if the rider does not know how to reset sag, does not have the proper spring rate nor fine tune the compression & rebound (front and rear) for the new linkage's length. Bolt-on artists, as they are commonly referred to, expect a bike part (not just a link, any part) to work magic simply by slapping it on. When that doesn't happen the online forums gets blasted with misconception. Lowering links are one of these such items. They're not for everyone but for the right rider they can be a tremendous bike modification. Just ask most of the pros and fast experts - almost all run aftermarket links based on terrain, track, personal preference, etc, even if they're not short in stature.

• Bremer120

Posted July 24, 2014 - 06:04 PM

I am interested to hear personal experience also. MXA, I believe it was said they, decided on the pro circuit link (which I think is a little pricey) setting sag at 105 and the forks 4mm up in trees. I would like to find an affordable option to balancing my 14'. For now I have the sag at about 106-107 and have notice a good difference and feel more confident.

• JS264

Posted July 24, 2014 - 08:21 PM

I have the Pro Circuit link.  Much gooder.

• 250premixer

Posted July 24, 2014 - 09:01 PM

I have the Pro Circuit link. Much gooder.

the goodest?

• yam 3

Posted July 25, 2014 - 11:27 AM

There is a list somewhere of older yz's that used different links that will fit your machine.  I believe that I have one from a 1997 yz450wr that lowers the rear.  It is very cheap from your dealer ~$100.

• grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2014 - 01:05 PM

I believe that I have one from a 1997 yz450wr

I'll bet you don't.

• yam 3

Posted July 25, 2014 - 06:08 PM

Hmmm I am pretty sure someone years ago posted the year models and the lengths of the pull rods. I bought one from the dealer. It was indeed the same but 1.5 mm or so different. Tried to do a search to no avail. Maybe someone will remember and post it.

• grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2014 - 08:26 PM

There is such a post, but there is no such animal as a 1997 YZ450wr.  The 450 came out in '03, and there's no such model as theYZ450wr, in any case.

The link cross reference was for the '06-'09 YZ450F models, and the link in question was for an '07 WR450F.

• Envisage

Posted July 28, 2014 - 05:56 AM

The key to aftermarket links is resetting sag and being properly sprung for the extra leverage of the new link.

Depending on your weight you may need a heavier spring if the linkage chosen has a lot of leverage (lowering amount). Otherwise it may wallow, bottom easily, understeer, etc. And - NO - putting more sag to lower the rear is not the answer. I've seen many bikes with 5, 6 and 7 inches of sag just to make it lower. These riders do not undertand the importance of sag and don't realize their overall net travel is decreased with their increased sag and the bike is actually riding more harsh and handling like crap.

After resetting race sag then you can raise the forks up in the clamps a few mm based on what you did with the bike's rear. There is no 1:1 lowering ratio of front vs rear. Like everything else it's all about setup and fine tuning based on personal preference.

Lowering links are a bad idea if the rider does not know how to reset sag, does not have the proper spring rate nor fine tune the compression & rebound (front and rear) for the new linkage's length. Bolt-on artists, as they are commonly referred to, expect a bike part (not just a link, any part) to work magic simply by slapping it on. When that doesn't happen the online forums gets blasted with misconception. Lowering links are one of these such items. They're not for everyone but for the right rider they can be a tremendous bike modification. Just ask most of the pros and fast experts - almost all run aftermarket links based on terrain, track, personal preference, etc, even if they're not short in stature.

Cheers yamalink. Re set static & rider sags upon install. Also have the correct spring rates. Not sure on the length of mine but apparantley lowers the seat height 30mm in the middle. You have one on your YZ 450 14 ?

Still keen on hearing from riders using one on this model bike & how they've found it ?, what track's they ride, sand,hard pack, level etc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1stSSPZ

Posted July 29, 2014 - 10:24 AM

I put one on my 13'...I understand there are differences in the two models. I tried the set-up that MXA recommended and, not surprisingly found that I could not make it work to my satisfaction. (MXA has lost a lot of credibility with me the last couple of years or so...on several issues) Anyway, it did lower the bike and it did settle the rear end down in braking bumps (which I did not really have a problem with). After about 5 hrs of ride time and trying every fork/sag combo I could think of, I gave up on it. Made the loose front end feeling even worse. Went another direction with things and am now very happy with the bikes performance. If you decide you want to try one and can confirm they are interchangeable between the two year models (I believe they are), let me know and I will make you a screaming deal on the Ride Engineering version I have.

• Gutty

Posted July 29, 2014 - 06:23 PM

Pro Circuit link, 2012 YZ450, 40/106mm sag, forks up about 6mm above flush on top clamp. Ride only MX. I'm a shortass at 5'7" and although it's not a lot lower, it has helped a little with my stumpy leg issues.

Last weekend i did a higher than normal speed natural terrain race, dropped the forks to flush in anticipation of a little head shake.. didn't really need to. Felt great under braking on a steep chopped up track.

Love it !

Edited by Gutty, July 29, 2014 - 06:28 PM.

• Envisage

Posted July 30, 2014 - 04:07 AM

I put one on my 13'...I understand there are differences in the two models. I tried the set-up that MXA recommended and, not surprisingly found that I could not make it work to my satisfaction. (MXA has lost a lot of credibility with me the last couple of years or so...on several issues) Anyway, it did lower the bike and it did settle the rear end down in braking bumps (which I did not really have a problem with). After about 5 hrs of ride time and trying every fork/sag combo I could think of, I gave up on it. Made the loose front end feeling even worse. Went another direction with things and am now very happy with the bikes performance. If you decide you want to try one and can confirm they are interchangeable between the two year models (I believe they are), let me know and I will make you a screaming deal on the Ride Engineering version I have.

Interesting. I read the MXA review as well & was one of the reasons for trying it.I ride really rough sand tracks, (mainly) with big knarly braking bumps. The seat was continually hitting me in the arse hence why i tried one. The link definatley holds it down in the stroke & improves that. I run 39 & 114 rider sags. Interesting you say it made the front "feel loose" ? I did feel the initial handling wasnt as good, (after first fitting it). I felt it un balanced the bike a bit, almost "twitchy", not sure if you felt the same ? However its amazing how you adapt to the difference in handling the longer you ride it. I want to re fit the original & try that again as im not sure if the benefits are outweighed by the dis adavantages ? What did you try after removing the link ?

Keen to hear from other peoples experiences ?

• DC_Excitement

Posted July 30, 2014 - 04:23 PM

I bought the oem 07 wr450 link for my 2010, someone told me it was almost identical to the pro circuit besides the bling, lowers my seat about a half inch and so far I'm happy with it, the new link compared to my original link was a couple of millimeters longer, and it fit perfectly.
I ordered the link and the bearings that go in it so I could swap it around if need be, If I remember it was under a hundred bucks

Part numbers

Link: 5XC-2217F-90-00
Bearings X 2: 93315-32269-00
Seals X 2: 93109-22019-00
Collar: 90387-14009-00

• WR450HOOLIGAN

Posted July 31, 2014 - 01:46 PM

My Pro Circuit Lowering link came in the mail today. Installing it Friday after work and will get to ride it Saturday morning and see how the bike responds. I am 5'9" and was originally wanting a link so I can touch in technical spots (I ride a lot of desert singletrack with rocky climbs and tight turns). I rode a friends 2010 YZ450F with the pro circuit and really liked how the rear wheel reacted to ruts so i decided to get one that has more handling performance rather than one with a lot of lowering. A combination of raising the forks and installing the link should make the height more reasonable for me.

BTW i have a 14 YZ450F

• JS264

Posted July 31, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Setup I'm running with the PC link:

160LB 5'11"

.47 kg/mm fork springs

5.7 kg/mm shock spring

Forks 8mm up in clamps

103mm sag

Subframe 20mm lower than stock

5mm lower footpegs

Bridgestone M203 front tire

Handles fantastic

• Envisage

Posted August 01, 2014 - 02:07 AM

Setup I'm running with the PC link:

160LB 5'11"

.47 kg/mm fork springs

5.7 kg/mm shock spring

Forks 8mm up in clamps

103mm sag

Subframe 20mm lower than stock

5mm lower footpegs

Bridgestone M203 front tire

Handles fantastic

Hey JS 264 is yr ride a YZ 450 14 ?, Did you buy your subframe already cut down/modified ?, i know a few of the pro race teams do this to keep the back end down. Whered you get the foot peg lowering kit from ? I know STI do them but havent made any for this model yet ?

• JS264

Posted August 01, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Hey JS 264 is yr ride a YZ 450 14 ?, Did you buy your subframe already cut down/modified ?, i know a few of the pro race teams do this to keep the back end down. Whered you get the foot peg lowering kit from ? I know STI do them but havent made any for this model yet ?

Yep, '14 450.

My subframe is a similar adjustable setup like the JGR ones, but mine was done in my shop with parts from my machinist friend.

Pegs are a GYTR titanium set.

• sesker15

Posted August 01, 2014 - 04:50 PM

I have the Pro Circuit link.  Much gooder.

Does this link help the front end fill more planted?

• JS264

Posted August 03, 2014 - 07:56 PM

Does this link help the front end fill more planted?

I changed too many things at once to make a definitive decision as to say that the link was the hot ticket.  I can say though with what I have done, the front tire sticks like glue and the bike rails corners.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.