2014 WR 450 Fuel Capacity

6 replies to this topic
  • Nuklhed

Posted July 21, 2014 - 04:45 PM

Last Saturday, I took my bike out for an inagural break in on some longer single track rides.

At 33.3 miles, the fuel light came on.  I rode in front the rest of the day (my buddy ate the dust) so that if I ran out of fuel, I'd not get left behind.  I rode 55.3 miles in total and never ran out of gas, nor felt any hiccups.

Got to a gas station and put in 1.744 gallons.  Rated capacity is 2.1 and the fuel light is supposed to come on at 0.79 gallons left.

Question I had--was it all the bouncing around the Taneum trails that caused the fuel light to come on prematurely?  Otherwise, I've got 22 miles on reserve, which doesn't sound right.

Any thoughts?

• mebgardner

Posted July 22, 2014 - 11:58 AM

Last Saturday, I took my bike out for an inagural break in on some longer single track rides.

At 33.3 miles, the fuel light came on.  I rode in front the rest of the day (my buddy ate the dust) so that if I ran out of fuel, I'd not get left behind.  I rode 55.3 miles in total and never ran out of gas, nor felt any hiccups.

Got to a gas station and put in 1.744 gallons.  Rated capacity is 2.1 and the fuel light is supposed to come on at 0.79 gallons left.

Question I had--was it all the bouncing around the Taneum trails that caused the fuel light to come on prematurely?  Otherwise, I've got 22 miles on reserve, which doesn't sound right.

Any thoughts?

I have two:

I dislike that "low fuel" idiot light, and

I love my larger, translucent after market gas tank.

I wiggle the cycle, and watch the lovely liquid slosh around. Bingo! *that's* how much is left.

• woods-rider

Posted July 22, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I have two:

I dislike that "low fuel" idiot light, and

I love my larger, translucent after market gas tank.

I wiggle the cycle, and watch the lovely liquid slosh around. Bingo! *that's* how much is left.

Where did you get the translucent tank? When I was looking for larger tanks (about 10 months ago) all I could find was a black IMS 3.0 gal, so that's what I ended up with. I would have loved to get a translucent tank that holds about 3.5 gal, but came up empty handed.

Edited by woods-rider, July 22, 2014 - 12:13 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nuklhed

Posted July 22, 2014 - 03:40 PM

Yes, do tell!

• cubera

Posted July 22, 2014 - 04:54 PM

The IMS 3.0 gallon natural -OR- white tanks are "see through". I have the natural one. I like the idiot light.....

• GP1K

Posted July 23, 2014 - 08:47 AM

When I had my stock tank my idiot light came on a few times just over 30 miles, coincidentally also at Taneum. I never pushed it to see how far it would really go though. Then I got the IMS 3.0 gal tank ('natural' color) and it's great. But  what really increased my mileage was changing FI maps. When I first got the bike, I used the 'muddy/slippery conditons' map, which is heavy on fuel and retards timing. It made the power softer and more manageable in the tight stuff, but as I got used to the bike I kept tweaking that map for less fuel and more ignition. In doing so, the mileage went up considerably.

So it is possible to increase mileage via FI tuning, but you can go too far and make the power rather abrupt. mebgardner had a whole thread here on mileage and FI tuning, good read.

Edited by GP1K, July 23, 2014 - 08:47 AM.

• mebgardner

Posted July 23, 2014 - 10:22 AM

The IMS 3.0 gallon natural -OR- white tanks are "see through". I have the natural one. I like the idiot light.....

Yup, that's the tank, the only one available as an after market product.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.