My WR450F tight woods "racer" build.

168 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 10, 2014 - 02:46 PM

My YZ 250. From what I've understood, your WR and my YZ share the same arm...

There is probably the difference.  What year is your YZ ?  Did your wheelbase change ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 10, 2014 - 02:50 PM.

• Monk

Posted September 10, 2014 - 02:49 PM

There is probably the difference. What year is your YZ ?

Mine is a 07

Sorry, the minor change came in 08 where they went to a different mount to the chain guide...

Length is the same. The 450 swingarm is longer..

Edited by Monk, September 10, 2014 - 02:51 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 10, 2014 - 02:53 PM

Mine is a 07

Sorry, the minor change came in 08 where they went to a different mount to the chain guide...

And the WR450F swing arm is derived from the 2010 YZ250F swing arm.  Its probably a bit lighter.  Tricky stuff, these Yamaha parts.

Interesting discussion though.

I didn't want to go with the new wheels because of the expense and I have 2 sets, one studded.

• Monk

Posted September 10, 2014 - 02:59 PM

And the WR450F swing arm is derived from the 2010 YZ250F swing arm. Its probably a bit lighter. Tricky stuff, these Yamaha parts.

Interesting discussion though.

I didn't want to go with the new wheels because of the expense and I have 2 sets, one studded.

No, it's not the 2010 YZ250f swingarm... I have a 2010 in my garage that I would gladly take pictures of to show you. My swingarm is the same as the 2010....

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 10, 2014 - 03:03 PM

No, it's not the 2010 YZ250f swingarm... I have a 2010 in my garage that I would gladly take pictures of to show you. My swingarm is the same as the 2010....

You lost me.  No comprende'.

• Monk

Posted September 10, 2014 - 03:07 PM

You lost me. No comprende'.

I have a 2010 YZ250f in my garage, which is the same swingarm as the 2011 YZ250F, which is on YZ 250 now. The WR swingarm on your 2012 is the same as what's on the new 250 2ts. It's a 22mm axel with the linkage mount in the middle of the swingarm, not below....

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 10, 2014 - 04:21 PM

Got it, thanks.

• GP1K

Posted September 11, 2014 - 12:29 PM

Laugh all you want, it works.  2nd and 3rd gear really usable on tough climbs.  The bike has 5 gears, why not use them ?   Its not like the MX bikes are out running me on top end.

Funny, I find 2nd and 3rd really usable on tough climbs... with 13/51 gearing. I can't imagine 1st and 2nd being usable with 12/51 gearing at all. I'm pretty sure I could ride everythign in 4th or 5th with your gearing. The bike has a clutch too, why not use it?

Seriously, where do you ride that you thiink you need that kind of gearing? I highly doubt you're hitting hills any steeper or gnarlier than what we have here in WA. If you won't post up any vids, at least tell us where you ride so we can search youtube and see. for ourselves.

If you wanna see where I ride, search Taneum, Little Naches, Teanaway, and you'll see some real "tight woods" looks like.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 11, 2014 - 12:52 PM

I'm pretty sure I could ride everything in 4th or 5th with your gearing.

Of course you can, on the Internet.  You've converted your WR to DS duty.   If its such a great bike as it is and you can ride it like you say you can, why aren't you doing that ?  Why is it now your DS bike ?

Just like getting the Magura clutch pictures for JDLowrance.  Promise, talk, promise... NOTHING. Talk is cheap, buddy. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 11, 2014 - 02:26 PM

Funny, I find 2nd and 3rd really usable on tough climbs... with 13/51 gearing. I can't imagine 1st and 2nd being usable with 12/51 gearing at all. I'm pretty sure I could ride everythign in 4th or 5th with your gearing. The bike has a clutch too, why not use it?

Seriously, where do you ride that you thiink you need that kind of gearing? I highly doubt you're hitting hills any steeper or gnarlier than what we have here in WA. If you won't post up any vids, at least tell us where you ride so we can search youtube and see. for ourselves.

Other WR450F people using a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket.

ahern01, DrFeelGood 

Source: http://www.thumperta...t#entry10984982

Mtn-Track, Allterra (on a YZ), Taxgod4u

Source: http://www.thumperta...t#entry10670926

tribalbc, presumably wrwest

http://www.thumperta...et#entry9177628

WRC51

http://www.thumperta...et#entry7023535

KennyMc

http://www.thumperta...ide-difference/

There are more.  I'll stop there.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 11, 2014 - 02:36 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted September 11, 2014 - 02:53 PM

Other WR450F people using a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket.

ahern01, DrFeelGood
Source: http://www.thumperta...t#entry10984982

Mtn-Track, Allterra (on a YZ), Taxgod4u
Source: http://www.thumperta...t#entry10670926

tribalbc, presumably wrwest
http://www.thumperta...et#entry9177628

WRC51
http://www.thumperta...et#entry7023535

KennyMc
http://www.thumperta...ide-difference/

There are more. I'll stop there.

12/49 and 12/50 :smirk:
With the YZ cams, I find I can use 2nd/3rd most of the time in Kennedy Meadows. In the desert 5th gets used only in traveling from mountain range to mountain range. Once in the canyons that we like to ride, it's back to 2nd as the billy goat trails won't allow for much more.

I liked I better than the 13/50 as I lug the bike a lot, I have never hit the rev limiter. With the exception once when I fell and the throttle got stuck WFO :crying:

Edited by KennyMc, September 11, 2014 - 02:59 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 11, 2014 - 03:00 PM

12/49 and 12/50 :smirk:

LOL !  Caught ya !

I went 12/51 when I converted my rear sprocket to aluminum.  Local shop had a 51 tooth on their firesale table.  I couldn't resist.

I love doing trials type stuff on my bike. The low gearing makes these bikes way more versatile.  There is only so much you can/wanna do with a clutch.  There are times when you really do want to go 3 MPH.  If you want to go faster, that is what the other 4 gears are for. 

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 11, 2014 - 03:04 PM.

• GP1K

Posted September 11, 2014 - 04:18 PM

Of course you can, on the Internet.  You've converted your WR to DS duty.   If its such a great bike as it is and you can ride it like you say you can, why aren't you doing that ?  Why is it now your DS bike ?

Just like getting the Magura clutch pictures for JDLowrance.  Promise, talk, promise... NOTHING. Talk is cheap, buddy. 

You make it sound like it's a step down, like I'm commuting to work on it or something. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'd bet my DS rides are more gnarly than your trail rides. Show us some vids to prove otherwise, I double dog dare you.

But you're right, talk is cheap. Like all your talk about how much 'better' your bike is with cams, especially vs FI tuned bikes that you have no clue what's that like as you've never done it, so how would you know? You don't, yet you talk like your cams are far superior and better mod than FI tuning, which is joke and everyone knows it.... but you.

As for the pics, I couldn't find the originals, so I took some more, but would have to host them somewhere to post and not sure if I even have a pic hosting account anymore. And your pics are much clearer than mine, better lighting, and you have the parts off the bike in some. So your pics are better than what I have anyway.

• GP1K

Posted September 11, 2014 - 04:21 PM

LOL !  Caught ya !

I went 12/51 when I converted my rear sprocket to aluminum.  Local shop had a 51 tooth on their firesale table.  I couldn't resist.

I love doing trials type stuff on my bike. The low gearing makes these bikes way more versatile.  There is only so much you can/wanna do with a clutch.  There are times when you really do want to go 3 MPH.  If you want to go faster, that is what the other 4 gears are for. 

Yup that's a noob rider talking right there. There's a LOT you can do with the clutch. Gearing your bike so it can idle down the trail is fail logic.

• stevethe

Posted September 11, 2014 - 05:18 PM

Yup that's a noob rider talking right there. There's a LOT you can do with the clutch. Gearing your bike so it can idle down the trail is fail logic.

Yup it's all about the clutch and trying to use higher gears. At least in the real as in real technical stuff you are slipping all over when geared low. However since this is the internet there are many areas and places that don't have the truly snooty stuff we have out here in So. Cal. it is different strokes for different folks.

I use stock gearing and lots and lots of clutching in tall gears. Been through many clutch cables. We also have tough monster horsepower hills.

• GP1K

Posted September 11, 2014 - 05:36 PM

Yup it's all about the clutch and trying to use higher gears. At least in the real as in real technical stuff you are slipping all over when geared low. However since this is the internet there are many areas and places that don't have the truly snooty stuff we have out here in So. Cal. it is different strokes for different folks.

I use stock gearing and lots and lots of clutching in tall gears. Been through many clutch cables. We also have tough monster horsepower hills.

I sense much sarcasm in this post. I don't think there's much in SoCal that compares to the PNW as far as gnarly single track goes. At least not from any of the vids I've seen so far.

I think one of the big differences is the hills. There are just way, way too many trees etc here to have a hill you can just aim your bike at it and pin it. More like a tight trail that switches back and forth through the trees, rocks, roots etc as it climbs up. Rider skill is far important there than pure horsepower, as you can't open up a big bike on a trail like that anyway, there just isn't room. I know very few people that ride 450s around here, most are on 250Fs or two strokes. They just work better in the woods around here. YMMV

• KennyMc

Posted September 11, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Stock clutch and clutch cable on my bike (pleasantly surprised).  I seldom see hills that you can just aim and pin it.  Way too many rocks in the stuff I ride.  My riding has changed over the years from doing more of the open desert to doing more of the "what is over there in those hills".  You can find a lot of interesting trails that way

http://youtu.be/2mL2sQNi-bw

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 11, 2014 - 06:23 PM

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

GP1K: do you ever shut up ?

Do you ever contribute anything about bikes ?

Do you ever work on your bike ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 11, 2014 - 06:25 PM.

• stevethe

Posted September 11, 2014 - 06:32 PM

I sense much sarcasm in this post. I don't think there's much in SoCal that compares to the PNW as far as gnarly single track goes. At least not from any of the vids I've seen so far.

I think one of the big differences is the hills. There are just way, way too many trees etc here to have a hill you can just aim your bike at it and pin it. More like a tight trail that switches back and forth through the trees, rocks, roots etc as it climbs up. Rider skill is far important there than pure horsepower, as you can't open up a big bike on a trail like that anyway, there just isn't room. I know very few people that ride 450s around here, most are on 250Fs or two strokes. They just work better in the woods around here. YMMV

Um I think we have way gnarlier stuff out this way. This is not run of the mill stuff that people ride. They can't, some of it is very very difficult for an expert rider. You have to use an IRC M5B and it has to be cut or in good shape or your trapped.

Well like this one aptly named the Dog trap. You will notice two bikes on the bottom. That's where it starts, all are invited when the weather cools down.

http://i1275.photobu...zpsa9fa18de.mp4

Wagon Wheel is also nice. I'm not seeing any way to pin it in either of these challenges.

Wagon_zpse28e71df.jpg

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 11, 2014 - 07:12 PM

Stevethe: gp1k will climb that with his dot tires in 4th gear. He's awesome. Yep.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.