Hello again

3 replies to this topic
  • 300lbsgorilla

Posted July 21, 2014 - 08:02 AM

Hello Thumpertalk!  I have been gone awhile.  I used to ride a DRZ400 and was a part of that forum.  The wife made me sell the bike a few years ago.  I did the only thing I could think of to make it right.  I got rid of the wife and bough another bike.  I just picked up a 2004 WR450F that was once plated and it 80% ready to be plated again.  Already did some searching and it looks like many of the mods listed here have been done.  Need to open up the carb and check the jets, but it sure runs good.

Any specific things I need to look at for reliabilty sakes? Perfroemance stuff is easy to find. Yes I am fully aware there is a search function but not knowing what to look for makes it hard to put in keywords.  In my case reliabilty is much more important than performance. Of course I want perfromance but never at the expense of reliabilty.  I ride mostly by myself and in places that would be a tough walk out.  I am getting a spot tracker for injury but I don't want to push the bike out.

I look forward to riding and reading this site again.

• stevethe

Posted July 21, 2014 - 11:08 AM

The 03's had a couple of issues. Nothing on the 04' that I've read.
With an 04' I think I would adjust the valves if needed change the oil and filter. Put a new plug in it. Check the air filter, replace if needed.
As long as it doesn't use oil I would just ride it and give it regular oil changes and do the filters.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 300lbsgorilla

Posted July 21, 2014 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the info.  I had planned putting in new air and oil filters, change the oil and possible the coolent.

Glad to hear there are no major issues.  I did't have a chance to do my homework before buying.  Found a bike and an owner that needed cash fast.  So I grabbed it hoping the gamble would pay off.

Can't wait until my stuff arives and I can polish it up, plate it and ride the heck out of it.

• stevethe

Posted July 21, 2014 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the info.  I had planned putting in new air and oil filters, change the oil and possible the coolent.

Glad to hear there are no major issues.  I did't have a chance to do my homework before buying.  Found a bike and an owner that needed cash fast.  So I grabbed it hoping the gamble would pay off.

Can't wait until my stuff arives and I can polish it up, plate it and ride the heck out of it.

Yeah one of the best parts of a WR, you can ride the wheels off of them.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.