I am confused with milage of my bike (07-SM). Previous owner made 3x3 so I can't compare with original milage and performance. But I think I am having problem about milage.

In city use I may reach 50~55 mpg whe I use slow and normal. And it reduce when opened throttle to ~44 mpg.

BUT! for long trips I can't pass ~47 mpg. I am driving 68~78 mph (110~130 kmh) mostly and it fall reserve after 80~85 miles every time. I was expecting to get ~125 miles(200km) in total(inc. res.) with these speeds.

I checked fuelly.com, there are a lot of 52~58 mpg(4~4.5 lt/100km) values.

So I wonder what is your milage. Or how changed your milege after 3x3 mod? 

Sooo many variables there like: right hand, driver weight, gearing, terrain, hills, tires, pressure and fuel. My 400S has seen a range of 38 to 61 MPG. I think we all wish for a larger tank and 6th gear

Sorry forgot to add these, you are right;

I made a trip around ~2200 km, bec. I suspected from air filter, I cleaned and oiled it nicely before trip. I always check my tire pressure once a week ( 25 - 29 psi). I made rear 31 psi bec of some weights and stuffs. I am 75 kg (~165 lbs I think). Gearing and all others are stock, only 3x3 mod. The trip was long and variable enough to see different milages but it was all same ? Less than 47 mpg in anyway.

IMO 47 mpg is a little bit annoying for a 400cc - single.(DRZ is not a tough dirt bike in the end)

I regularly get 55mpg, I ride a pretty even mix of city and country roads (50-60mph cruising).

I suspect that fuel efficiency starts to drop off once you start cruising around 70-80mph. The revs are too high and throttle has to be opened up pretty far to sustain these speeds, all this kills your fuel mileage.

• Like 4

I regularly get 55mpg, I ride a pretty even mix of city and country roads (50-60mph cruising).

I suspect that fuel efficiency starts to drop off once you start cruising around 70-80mph. The revs are too high and throttle has to be opened up pretty far to sustain these speeds, all this kills your fuel mileage.

This...drag is the biggest factor since there is virtually no wind protection for aerodynamics. This is why your mpg is better at low speed, city use.

• Like 3

I am confused with milage of my bike (07-SM). Previous owner made 3x3 so I can't compare with original milage and performance. But I think I am having problem about milage.

In city use I may reach 50~55 mpg whe I use slow and normal. And it reduce when opened throttle to ~44 mpg.

BUT! for long trips I can't pass ~47 mpg. I am driving 68~78 mph (110~130 kmh) mostly and it fall reserve after 80~85 miles every time. I was expecting to get ~125 miles(200km) in total(inc. res.) with these speeds.

I checked fuelly.com, there are a lot of 52~58 mpg(4~4.5 lt/100km) values.

So I wonder what is your milage. Or how changed your milege after 3x3 mod?

My bike wasn't stock for long so I don't know the stock mileage. But with 3x3 & full exhaust etc, it got about 45. Like said above, depends on how you ride. Now I have a FCR39 and it's so much fun I don't even care what the mileage is.....(evil grin). Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 1

This...drag is the biggest factor since there is virtually no wind protection for aerodynamics. This is why your mpg is better at low speed, city use.

At higher speeds the wind resistance / aerodynamics has a huge effect on fuel economy.. Riding in a prone position will help or fitting a small screen

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 1

Riding in a prone position will also help people to believe you are real rossi  :ride:

Trust me, I've been making it on supermotos for 3 years  ?

Edited by Syanur
  • Like 1

My bike has 3x3 mod, full fmf exhaust, and the cvk40 mod and gets 54+/- mpg.  That's down from 55-62mpg with 3x3, exhaust and stock S carb.  I live in northern PA so there's lots of hills and I regularly run 60+ mph.  My Gearing is 15-46, I weigh about 150lbs. tire psi is 30rear and 25-30front.  I have about 2,500 miles on the Shinko244's, front's like new and rear is around 30% life so it's not like I baby it.  Lots of drifting on dirt roads and hard accelerations.  If your bike has the FCR-39 then you have to expect lower mileage.  Or you could send it to me for proper "disposal" and I'll ship you a stock S carb.  Guarantee an increase in mpg's! ?

• Like 1

My bike has 3x3 mod, full fmf exhaust, and the cvk40 mod and gets 54+/- mpg.  That's down from 55-62mpg with 3x3, exhaust and stock S carb.  I live in northern PA so there's lots of hills and I regularly run 60+ mph.  My Gearing is 15-46, I weigh about 150lbs. tire psi is 30rear and 25-30front.  I have about 2,500 miles on the Shinko244's, front's like new and rear is around 30% life so it's not like I baby it.  Lots of drifting on dirt roads and hard accelerations.  If your bike has the FCR-39 then you have to expect lower mileage.  Or you could send it to me for proper "disposal" and I'll ship you a stock S carb.  Guarantee an increase in mpg's! ?

This make me upset  :smashpc:

Everything is stock on my bike, just made 3x3 mod with JD jet kit. No FCR or cvk40... No aftermarket exhaust...

By the way, I wonder; how cvk40 perform? Why did you go for cvk instead of FCR ? Bec. of lower perf. + higer MPG than FCR ??

Edited by Syanur

I did the cvk because I couldn't justify dropping $700 on a carburetor. I spent around $250 plus 2-3 hours on the cvk setup all installed and running great. Performance difference is huge over stock and the mpg is a bonus over the fcr.

The front comes up easier and faster, it has instant throttle response and it pulls harder in all gears. ?.

I'm not sure why you're getting such low mileage with your setup since it's stock.

Does your bike feel like it's dragging when you push/pull it? Maybe bad bearings or dragging brakes?

Edited by Echo5413

I am not sure about bad bearings but brakes seems fine. Little sounds comes from rear brake but I checked them, there is no dragging etc...

I suspected from rear tyre... 160 / MT60-RS corsa. It is really wide for this bike IMO. My friend noticed better MPG on his ER6 whith thinner(proper) tyre. And DRZ is much weaker bike, will affect more from bigger tyre.

Other thing is bike "drinks" ~400ml oil around ~1000km(600~650 miles) when I push it, 3/4 or WOT. May be valves and valve seals need to be checked. The oil consumption is also high like fuel I think ?

Bytheway, cvk seems nice choice. But I really tired of adjusting carbs to bike from my previous 250 SM. So, one day if think to modify, I will consider the cvk 

Edited by Syanur

well with a 3X3 and a bigger main jet of course your mileage will go down at high speed .. keep it around 60 and steady cruising throttle and it 'may' get similar to stock mileage but still probably alittle less .. on my old hotrods if i was planning on a longer trip i would plunk smaller jets back in and de-tune it alittle for the ride there .. just an idea ...

I did the cvk because I couldn't justify dropping $700 on a carburetor.

They are still available as kits w/JD internals for $550 shipped. I paid $500 for mine at the TT store about seven years ago.

But, back on topic; I achieved 75mpg by short-shifting and not exceeding 45mph during break-in. The bike was rock stock.

• Like 1

They are still available as kits w/JD internals for $550 shipped. I paid $500 for mine at the TT store about seven years ago.

But, back on topic; I achieved 75mpg by short-shifting and not exceeding 45mph during break-in. The bike was rock stock.

That's surprising I found on my complete stock S that the more I lugged it the worse the mileage. This was proven when I switched to my 14T because I use to get around 90 miles till it hit reserve (consistently) and now I get right at 100 miles till reserve and I don't baby it. Use to baby it when I first got it and got like 80-85 before reseve.

Ok calm down buddy, your short shifting and not going above 45 would be lugging to me on a stock S in 5th. I'm not talking about 5 gear going 10. I'm talking about low rpm riding like 45 in

If I was really lugging it, according to you, my mileage would have gone down, which it didn't.

If I was really lugging it, according to you, my mileage would have gone down, which it didn't.

That's exactly why I was surprised! Because on my bike when I run the revs low and try to be sensible with my right hand it tends to get worse gas mileage!im not calling you a liar I was surprised to hear what you said hence why I quoted you! But Chill out and let whatever happened in the other thread go. This isnt high school.

I have tall gearing on my bike, and use 5th gear at speeds less than 50 mph if it's just putting along a flat area or going downhill.  The motor doesn't lug doing that.  Going uphill, accelerating, or anything like that means I downshift.  I'm not sure what kind of mileage I'm getting, since I haven't had the bike very long, but I'm getting a lot of miles out of a tank of fuel. The tank is oversized, so that's part of it, but I think the bike is not burning all that much fuel.  I can smell hot oil, but it doesn't seem to be using much oil - I check it.  And, there's no oil residue in the tailpipe, so I guess it's just the way this bike smells.

• Like 1