Radiator guards for WR426

20 replies to this topic
  • tracker59

Posted January 25, 2004 - 12:23 PM

I plan to put a set of radiator guards on my bike and would like your input on the best ones and ease of installation.

• Tom14911

Posted January 25, 2004 - 12:25 PM

I swear by the devols. They have saved me numerous times. Easy to put on.

Tom

• Math

Posted January 25, 2004 - 02:11 PM

I think that most of the guys here will tell u the Devols are the best. That is what I have. I crashed on the side with my bike at quite good speeds and I never had my rads injured. Plus, even a mechanic dummy like me succeeded to install them quite easily. Plus they look very nice...

You can also do a quick search with the search engine of this website. It's been discussed a lot...

HTH :)

• Gadsen

Posted January 25, 2004 - 08:20 PM

I have a set of Devols on my WR426 and some clown on a KTM 300EXC came zipping around a corner, I saw him, he didn't see me, he smacked his front wheel right into my left radiator. He went down on his ass. I didn't. We asked if each other was OK, and then asked why he was going so quick, he sais "I thought it was one way according to the arrows", :) I explain, those were just put up today for next weekends poker run, this is two way traffic. He just came around a corner, or he would of hit me much harder. Anyway, the radiator gaurd was bent, but never touched the radiator. I proceeded to ride the rest of the day, removed it the next day, straightened it out and reinstalled it. Those stock radiators are spendy, I'm sure the Devol gaurds paid for themselves on that one hit! :D Get the Devols®

• 1rkcooper

Posted January 25, 2004 - 08:33 PM

Devol are probably the most expensive but are extremely good. You ca also check MSR, they are good too. MSR do not have them for my 98 400 though. You can sometimes get them on Ebay but if there are none there I wouldn't wait. A rad is probably twice to three time the cost of the Devol guards. Best to buy them now. :) :D

• 1rkcooper

Posted January 25, 2004 - 08:33 PM

Devol are probably the most expensive but are extremely good. You ca also check MSR, they are good too. MSR do not have them for my 98 400 though. You can sometimes get them on Ebay but if there are none there I wouldn't wait. A rad is probably twice to three time the cost of the Devol guards. Best to buy them now. :) :D

• jchantzWR400F

Posted January 26, 2004 - 07:24 AM

Here's a vote for Unabiker radiator guards. You can get'em anodized if you want to.

bbennett447@yahoo.com

There are many pics of his work on the DRZ forum.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted January 26, 2004 - 01:39 PM

I've had Devols on my bike for a couple of years and they have saved me on multiple occasions. But, Flatland Racing makes 1/8" thick radiator guards that seem a lot stronger. If I were getting new ones I would get Flatland Racing radiator guards.

• Fryboy

Posted January 27, 2004 - 08:51 AM

I had the Devols prior to the Flatland Racing braces. I crashed hard with the devols and they always held up well. Last year driving up a dirt road towards Clear Creek, only driving about 5 mph, I hit a bump and the bike hoppped up and fell on its left side on the trailer. This bent the guard and my radiator.

I replaced them with the FLR guards and have to say they are much beefier. I really like them and have recommended them to many of my friends. So far no one has damaged their radiators with them on.

Fryboy

• Scuba_Steve

Posted January 30, 2004 - 08:20 PM

After reading other's comments here, I bought the Flatlands Racing guards, and they are great! Their service is top-notch as well, as I found out after I lost some of the hardware.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thelimey1

Posted February 01, 2004 - 01:52 PM

another vote for flatland guards. way stronger than the devols. if you havent seen a set, you might wanna check em out first.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 01, 2004 - 03:18 PM

Devol's are very good. :)

• jchantzWR400F

Posted February 02, 2004 - 03:48 AM

Did I mention Unabiker :)

• Yamaha600Racer

Posted February 02, 2004 - 05:01 AM

Any concerns :goofy:with overheating with the devols? do they clog easily?

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 22, 2004 - 05:04 PM

They replace. :)

• WR_Dave

Posted March 22, 2004 - 05:16 PM

I have the Devols and I trimmed the rad louvers and remounted them to the rad guards for better air flow into the rads and less direct mud from passing 2 smokes. My .02---WR Dave.

• latehit

Posted March 22, 2004 - 05:27 PM

I have Devols on mine and I was ever so thankful a week ago going down a steep nasty rocky hillside and got out of control and wipped out pretty hard. The left radiator guard was bent all the way to the radiator but the radiator was fine. No matter what brand you buy the radiator guards are a must. :)

• oldbones

Posted March 22, 2004 - 06:18 PM

If it's strong protection for your expensive radiators that you are looking for, you should check out this new company from Oregon. I think their stuff is top notch, I have some of their early prototypes on my bike and haven't been able to break them yet... Anyway, their rad guards look bulletproof, check em out.
Posted Image

If you want more info, their website is here:

Rooster Performance

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 23, 2004 - 01:41 AM

I dont like the way the Rooster does not protect against a combination front side hit. It will buckle back and take out the radiator since it is bolted to it. The design looks suspect to me. :)

• oldbones

Posted March 23, 2004 - 05:12 AM

I dunno Indy, I have held this guard in my hands, and I think it's a little tougher than you give it credit for. I think if you were to hit something hard enough to damage a radiator with this guard in place, you would have a lot more to worry about than buying a new radiator. Just my $.02 though, I haven't personally had the chance to crash test this piece just yet! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.