2010 yz450f siezed

3 replies to this topic
  • RagingBunny

Posted July 18, 2014 - 10:31 PM

Here's the story, 

I bought the bike yesterday, was super excited to ride it so I just went straight to a local riding spot (something I usually never do after buying a used bike). Once there I checked over everything, and everything looked good. Coolant levels were good, oil levels were good, it looked ready to ride. But here comes the fun part... After letting it fully warm up, went for a quick ride around to make sure it ran fine. It had a tendency to stall a lot but I was expecting that because it was still in full MX setup and I hadn't set it up for hare scramble racing yet. After the warm up I hit the trails. I got in about half a kilometer where I got to a very technical section. Of course the bike stalls and I get stuck and was forced to turn back to the bottom of the section and take the easy route...  :smirk:  So I start it up and ride to the bottom were I stall again, and I go to start it again. Except this time the kick starter wouldn't budge. It was fully seized. I tried rolling it back and fourth in gear, bump starting, everything, it just wouldn't un-seize. It would still shift fine, I just couldn't move the kick starter at all. After many curse words, yelling, kicking and screaming, I got back to the truck and went home. :censored:  So today I started to tear it apart, still had full coolant and oil. After doing some investigating I decided to check the timing. I removed the cam chain tension-er and I hear a huge clunk. It was un-seized! :applause:  So what I'm assuming is that the cam chain skipped a tooth on the camshafts and seized the engine. Can a cam chain get worn to the point where it will skip a tooth? Also what kind of damage am I looking at? I stalled and it seized while I was idling so hopefully nothing to costly  :banghead:. I also noticed that the chain was a bit loose when under tension then normal. (I owned a 2008 yz450f) 

Here's a pic of the Intake and Exhaust camshaft teeth.

IMG_7191_zpsc17772a7.jpg

IMG_7192_zps082014ce.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2014 - 07:19 AM

The problem is likely the chain itself.  The way the usually fail is by having links tighten up and bind instead of pivoting smoothly.  Replace the chain and the tensioner.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RagingBunny

Posted July 19, 2014 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reply, I'll order new parts today, hopefully that's all the damage that happened!

• raptorgabe

Posted July 30, 2014 - 11:41 PM

ive seen this to 3 different bikes and usually its the chain skips timing and the piston smashes valves

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.