question for someone who has installed mrd z-pro pipe

so if I use the qc and leave the 155 jet in can I leave the needle in 3rd position also or does it need to be moved to 4th

I'm pretty sure you or we should still go to the fourth position. I asked the jetting guru once again today.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

I really don't know why so many people are down on the QC and SA for the MRD system. With QC and SA installed it still out performs many other systems. Way more flow than a stock "corked" exhaust. So much info regurgitated ad nausuem. The QC can be opened up by drilling the holes a step or two larger and adding holes to the QC end cap. Only increases db level a little. Everybody wants so much performance out of a little 33 hp 400 cc engine its ridiculous. Why not buy a bigger displacement bike in the first place. Buy a KTM or something other than the DR-Z. All the bolt on crap in this world will not make it a high HP bike no matter what. If you do make it a 50 or 60hp bike it is out of balance internally and will not be as reliable as stock. Which isn't saying much because of all the things that can go wrong. The effect of the QC and SA is something like a HP or less in HP loss. Doubt most of us could even feel the difference. Only way to even see it is on dyno runs and even then the results are widely variable.

Be a sheep and do what everyone else does or go your own way and enjoy your ride. The MRD without the QC is obnoxiously loud and will damage your hearing in short order if you do not use hearing protection. Same with wind noise in your helmet.

My bike is co called "corked" and runs fine. Not worth the amount of noise I would have to put up with if it was "uncorked". To each his own... end of rant.

I absolutely agree with Burn on the ear damage. In fact, I can tell you first hand my left ear rings almost continually now from the MRD SSW. I don't know why it's my left ear, considering the pipe is on the right, but it is what it is. I no longer have the pipe and now have an MRD Pro Comp that I am very happy with. Bigger diameter than the FMF /w powerbomb header. Performs very well.

• Like 1

Hello. I too have just bought the Z pro. Craigo 's jetting recommendation to me with the same setup at 147 ft. Was

Blue needle clip 4

160 main jet

22.5 pilot jet

2.75 turns out

For open pipe ,

When I did the 3x3 mod with JD kit a # 25 pilot jet was installed per their instructions .

So I will be getting in there again to change the jets. I'm questioning if I should switch to the Red needle right now . The red is for Hot Humid conditions ( above 75 degrees) as per. JD instructions . It says the Red needle will evenly lean the lower throttle range . It's easy enough to swap needles without removing the carb, so I think it's worth a try . My Z Pro will be here Tuesday . ; )

I am running the same on my DRZ, I did not make any changes for my last track day where is was 90F and humid. Bike ran just fine.

I am sticking with the above setup.

I am running the same on my DRZ, I did not make any changes for my last track day where is was 90F and humid. Bike ran just fine.

I am sticking with the above setup.

Thanks for the input.

Any idea how much difference going back to the stock pilot jet from the 25 makes? I'm assuming your running uncorked , because you said track day. I'm thinking I will cork it , mainly because I often leave for work before 4:30 am . If changing the pilot back isn't absolutely necessary for a corked application it will make rejetting allot easier . I could use the 155 that's in there now and just move the needle clip one position . Does that sound right for running with the QC. 155mj/25pj/blue fourth clip

Thanks for the input.

Any idea how much difference going back to the stock pilot jet from the 25 makes? I'm assuming your running uncorked , because you said track day. I'm thinking I will cork it , mainly because I often leave for work before 4:30 am . If changing the pilot back isn't absolutely necessary for a corked application it will make rejetting allot easier . I could use the 155 that's in there now and just move the needle clip one position . Does that sound right for running with the QC. 155mj/25pj/blue fourth clip

If you have the stock fuel screw - use the 25 pilot jet

If you have an extended fuel screw - use the stock 22.5 pilot jet

You don't need to change the pilot jet for a corked or uncorked pipe.

If you have the stock fuel screw - use the 25 pilot jet

If you have an extended fuel screw - use the stock 22.5 pilot jet

You don't need to change the pilot jet for a corked or uncorked pipe.

I've been using the 25 pj as per JD instructions for the 3x3 mod ,with the extended screw as I bought it from them as well . So now I need to go back to the 22.5 because I'll be going to the fourth clip ?

I'm just trying to better understand what the pj does in relation to the mj in relation to the needle position and needle taper . What works where and what doesn't.

Edited by Masshole DRZ

I've been using the 25 pj as per JD instructions for the 3x3 mod ,with the extended screw as I bought it from them as well . So now I need to go back to the 22.5 because I'll be going to the fourth clip ?

I'm just trying to better understand what the pj does in relation to the mj in relation to the needle position and needle taper . What works where and what doesn't.

The pilot jet and fuel screw affect your idle and just off idle (small throttle openings). The stock 22.5 pilot jet is recommended to be used with the extended fuel screw because the extended fuel screw has a richer taper. Some people use the extended fuel screw and 25 pilot jet with no problems, others have problems. If you have no problems with the extended fuel screw and 25 pilot jet then leave it in.

This should help you visualize what affects what in the carb.

ScreenShot2014-07-20at61307PM.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the input.

I made a mistake and put the 25 in with the extended fuel screw, it was soft on the bottom end and not pulling hard and crisp. Once I put the 22.5 back in it ran great and cleaned up the bottom end.

I made a mistake and put the 25 in with the extended fuel screw, it was soft on the bottom end and not pulling hard and crisp. Once I put the 22.5 back in it ran great and cleaned up the bottom end.

Mine may be what you call soft in the bottom end . I'd like it to pull harder , but who wouldn't. I'm still a nube. But I always figured it should pull up better than it does without having to clutch it up. . It may be running fine. Plugs have never looked like it was rich . If anything I always thought lean . With a bit of decel pop , I figured it was pretty close . I've been using the extended screw with the 25 . I left it alone because it was an big improvement over stock . Tuesday night I'll have the MRD . I've got a new plug I and a couple of quarts of Castrol synth. And a filter waiting to do at the same time . Carb cleaner on hand and Two new tubes of loctite red and blue . I believe I'll be going back to motard with 15/42 as well . Got to check out my refreshed front wheel . It's a big week for me .

• Like 1