'12+ WR450 FI Setting .vs CO Gas Sniffer Readings: Data Request

6 replies to this topic
  • mebgardner

Posted July 18, 2014 - 11:34 AM

If you have access to '12+ WR450 CO FI Setting (obtained by using the FI "diagnostic" tool) .vs CO Gas "Sniffer" readings data, please post it up.

I'm looking for this type of data:

(These are *BOGUS* Data here, just being an example)

FI Setting    CO Reading

3                 3%

5                 5%

.etc...

You should probably include some info about any changes (from "OEM" standard) about the motor, exhaust, and / or intake systems that are on the cycle being tested.

Sadly, I have none to offer. I do not have access to a gas sniffer.

I am able to offer the use of a diagnostic tool to someone who *does* have access to a gas sniffer, no charge, if they were willing to post up their findings here. Say, in increments of 1, from -5 to +15 (to +20?) on the FI diagnostic tool setting, and give the result in CO%.

• mebgardner

Posted July 21, 2014 - 06:31 AM

From vlxjim (quoted from another thread):

20 ... was around 5.3 % or so. At 15 we were 3.7 with a 3 in the lower left bottom of the map.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted July 21, 2014 - 04:15 PM

Our dealership has the diagnostic tool and an EGA. As soon as I install my new pipe I'll post some data from my 2013 WR450F.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 5270ADVRIDER

Posted July 24, 2014 - 03:37 PM

2013 - GYTR ECU, Snorkel removed, cean air filter, fresh fuel, fresh oil, Dr D slip-on (new last night). Bike was at operating temperature, ambient temp 75.

CO setting = 0    EGA reading was 2.47

Moved FI setting to 7 and EGA now reads 4.22

I'm going to run with this for a while and see what happens. I've never had hard start issues hot or cold until I switched my pipe (I had a cold start issue). Didn't need a pipe and really liked the stocker with the GYTR insert, but who really NEEDS half the stuff we bolt on or bikes? Lol     I'm a sucker for a good deal!

• vlxjim

Posted July 25, 2014 - 07:43 AM

Thats different. I would think that the dealer use the Yamaha FI tool. I do remember that some of the Yamaha FI tools worked differently. On a new ECU some would showed minus numbers to start with. So we should state if the FI tool was the Yamaha part number or the China one. I use the china one.

• mebgardner

Posted July 25, 2014 - 07:59 AM

Being an electrical engineer, and a computer scientist, and work to program sophisticated embedded systems processors every day, for decades, I feel qualified to opine on this difference.

I believe each of these diagnostic tools (yam or china) are merely communications devices linked to a CAN bus and operate as command / status devices.

If I command either tool to "bump an index in an embedded systems lookup table, by one index", the result in the embedded system will be the same using either tool.

I think you get the same result whichever tool is used.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted July 25, 2014 - 06:42 PM

That's way over my head, but it sure makes sense. Lol.

I used the Yamaha tool that was autoshipped from the factory along with the switched harness that was made for the plug on the WR AND a very high-end EGA. Of course it was the easy button for me since it's all at the dealership that I work for.

Btw, I paid $40 for the use of the equipment, my technicians time, and misc. supplies. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.