Proper clutch cover gasket replacement?

3 replies to this topic
  • torkd14

Posted July 18, 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hey guys,

I have a 2006 YZ450 for a spare bike that has a lot of hours but still runs very strong. I have put probably 4 or 5 different clutch cover gaskets in it over the years and the odd time they leak a couple rides after being put in. I just see a little seepage on top near the kickstart never very much.  

Am I possibly putting it in improperly? I make sure not to over tighten and tighten on one across from the other like the pattern when putting a truck wheel on. It could also be possible the cover is warped but my plates have never shown signs of overheating.

If there's a trick anyone knows that I haven't figured out please let me know!

Thank you,

• squamishhunter

Posted July 18, 2014 - 09:16 AM

Are both mating surfaces clean as &%$#@!?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ratom98

Posted July 18, 2014 - 01:21 PM

you sure its nit just a little oil that dripped on the case there from your last filter change?

• torkd14

Posted July 18, 2014 - 01:37 PM

you sure its nit just a little oil that dripped on the case there from your last filter change?

Yup its back by the kickstart, after washing the bike thoroughly it shows up again after a ride. I have a new gasket I'll put in when I rebuild the water pump, (seals just started leaking in it too).  

Its probably just junk in-between like squamishhunter stated, I'll cleaner good next time and see how it goes. Just wanted to see if there was something obvious I overlooked when replacing them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.