Sand in motor (12 WR450)

43 replies to this topic
  • GuyGraham

Posted August 24, 2014 - 12:28 AM

Just pulled mine from the air box. Stuffed some PVC replacement foam in the end and threaded safety wire through it and the hose so there's no possibility of it getting sucked in. Then rerouted up under the seat. Around battery and tied it near the o2 sensor at top of airbox. Question is what will happen to motor if this tube gets kinked or flow has been constricted too much. Blown seal or something? Will bike run bad when plugged before something get ruined?

nothing, it will just use energy to over come the crankcase pressurization which will then not make it to the back wheel

can you feel this power loss -  :excuseme:

I remember about 10 years ago doing some work on a Honda CG125 single cylinder road bike

I took the oil filler cap off the engine whilst is was running, and it started sucking and blowing out of the oil filler hole because it didn't have a crankcase breather system, so engines have in the past not had crankcase breathers and been perfectly OK

• Mark Pyke74

Posted August 24, 2014 - 01:15 AM

The tube isn't long enough to contain 449cm of air, which is what gets sucked in when the piston rises from BDC to TDC, and so some air from the atmosphere will get sucked in as well
There's enough evidence to suggest this can and does happen

Ok

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark Pyke74

Posted August 24, 2014 - 01:37 AM

Ok

This is defiantly something yamaha should fix!! What about other brands same thing??

• avlisj

Posted August 24, 2014 - 07:43 AM

nothing, it will just use energy to over come the crankcase pressurization which will then not make it to the back wheel
can you feel this power loss - :excuseme:

I remember about 10 years ago doing some work on a Honda CG125 single cylinder road bike
I took the oil filler cap off the engine whilst is was running, and it started sucking and blowing out of the oil filler hole because it didn't have a crankcase breather system, so engines have in the past not had crankcase breathers and been perfectly OK

Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.