2nd OEM 00' tank cracked. Help!

10 replies to this topic
  • BK14MX

Posted January 21, 2002 - 11:50 AM

I try to stay positive, but this has me bloody pissed off. I am now the proud owner of two, count them, 2 cracked OEM tanks off a 00' 426. The first cracked after a hard landing, which I could actually stomach, because it was a serious impact. That was before the replacement cracked under normal mx'ing. What gives here??????? The replacement cost me 246 bucks, and to top it off, it was an 01' tank. My guess is Yamaha knows theres a problem, by superceding 00' tanks for 01's, which didnt last me 6 months. I have seen a few posts about cracked tanks, did anyone have luck getting it warrantied?? I just don't want to wait forever for the replacement. Any idea's would be welcome. Thanks

• MXOldtimer

Posted January 21, 2002 - 01:46 PM

My 00-426 tank cracked after 6 months and they replaced mine with a 99 tank, after ? ? a year & a half it also cracked, I was shocked they replaced that tank as well but with a 01 tank. Now I bought a 02-250F and I've forgotten I even own a 426.

• skthom2320

Posted January 21, 2002 - 02:08 PM

Clarke makes stock replacement tanks for $165. Click here to order online :Clarke web site]

Hope this helps.

Steve T

• BK14MX

Posted January 21, 2002 - 03:38 PM

I talked to the people at Clarke today. Great people up there, very helpful. She said they never had planned to make an OEM replacement, but, all the phone calls from people looking for stock capacity tanks changed their minds, evedently they have sold a ton for the 426. Could make a person wonder what Yamaha knows about the problem. I faxed Yamaha a letter today, with lots of information about the tanks, my receipts and all. Wonder if I'll get a response.

• CK28

Posted January 22, 2002 - 08:50 AM

MAN I CAN NOT BELIVE THAT YOU CRAKED YOUR TANK AGIAN.WHAT IS UP WITH THAT.I WOULD BE SENDING THEM BOTH BACK TO YAMAHA AND TREANT TO GO BY A HONDA.HA!HA! SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY NEED TO GO BACK TO THE TWO STROKE.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted January 22, 2002 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that you were able to use the info.

Let us all know if Yamaha pays for the tank. Mine hasn't cracked yet (an '01) and would be interested to know if I can get Yamaha to pay for a Clarke replacement instead of an OEM if/when mine cracks.

Steve T

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

• oldnbold

Posted January 22, 2002 - 10:20 PM

I cracked the second tank on my '00 on Sunday, frayed my throttle cable, and blew a fork seal!!

What a day for the parts companies.

I still had a great time.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 22, 2002 - 01:55 PM

where do the tanks crack? I bought mine with the rear mount missing, kinda wondering if thats where they crack?

• BK14MX

Posted January 22, 2002 - 03:15 PM

Shawn,
Thats exactly where it cracks, between the rubber cushion on the frame and the mount, which on mine is bent way down out of the way.

Hey CK28, punk, I know 2 people who just sold there brand new cr450's. Hows the class going???
wheres my damn SS wool packing???????????

OldnBold,
I have replaced mine too, after it stuck going of a jump, the landing was ugly, trust me, very ugly.

You can buy a pulley from zip-tie racing, or just bend the mounting bracket like I did, dont was the 30 bucks on new cables without fixing it while your there.

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: BK14MX ]

• oldnbold

Posted January 23, 2002 - 05:52 AM

I like the bend the bracket idea.

What am I trying to accomplish by bending the bracket? I'm installing new motion pro cables so any input while wrenching is appreciated.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 23, 2002 - 09:15 AM

When you assemble the cables onto the bracket on the carb, make sure the the jam nuts inside the bracket have the corner sticking through the slot. IF the nut is in the bracket flatly it will misalign the cable and cause it to fray again. How much were the motionpro cables? My factory one only cost 34 bucks. Was pleasantly surprised. Also one of those billet throttel wheels is supposed to end that woe. I dressed my stock wheel with a file.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.