Busted case

5 replies to this topic
  • RLV199

Posted July 15, 2014 - 04:05 PM

So my chain guard welds busted and derailed my chain which in return sent the chain careening into my case and cracking it all the way around where the clutch arm goes in..

I guess I am mainly just venting but if anyone knows where I can get a cheap case.. that would be great

As well as any info as to what I will need to do this wonderful bit of work. What should I look for that might have been damaged?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1405468907739.jpg

• hillclimb426

Posted July 15, 2014 - 06:41 PM

I had a chain break and bust the same spot on my 08 mechanic had a friend that owned welding shop. That guy made a mold off another 08 case and fixed my case from that saved a bunch of $ . Clutch works just as good as new. Go talk to local welder/metal worker.

• sploon

Posted July 16, 2014 - 12:28 AM

I had a chain break and bust the same spot on my 08 mechanic had a friend that owned welding shop. That guy made a mold off another 08 case and fixed my case from that saved a bunch of $ . Clutch works just as good as new. Go talk to local welder/metal worker.

agreed i have seen this repaired before. a new case is about 4 - 5x more expensive than a repair but if a repair is done correctly and the cases pre heated before alloy tig welding. The repair will be permanent

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swaldrop

Posted July 16, 2014 - 06:15 AM

What led you to the conclusion that the chain guard welds broke, causing the derailment? Under normal conditions, the chain guard is under zero load, with the only force applied to it being an improperly adjusted or broken chain. Just curious as to how this would be possible.

Edit: Are you referring to the lower chain guide? That I could see causing a problem.

Edited by swaldrop, July 16, 2014 - 06:21 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2014 - 08:54 AM

If by "chain guard" he means the lower guide, those welds do occasionally crack.  If it broke free, the chain would almost certainly derail.

• RLV199

Posted July 16, 2014 - 01:00 PM

Sorry yeah I totally meant guide

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.