Please help an "OLD FART"

3 replies to this topic
  • oldmanfunk

Posted January 24, 2004 - 05:46 PM

I have a new 2003 XR650R. I would like to convert the front suspension to upside-down forks. I need help with any information concerning application. Will a CR500 or CRF450 Fork assembly work? If so, what will I need in the way of modifications, if any? All help would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Dutch

Posted January 24, 2004 - 06:34 PM

If I was going to do that, (and I would like to),
I would purchase the entire front end,(triple trees to rim), retro fit the BRP stem,
and fit springs for the correct sag.
I have seen in the past where it has been debated
that the 650R frame needs the flex of the conventional fork to survive.
I don't buy that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbrown404

Posted January 25, 2004 - 07:06 PM

I bolted a set of Ohlins up to my bike and it wasn't too bad. I used CRF450 aftermarket triple clamps but had to modify the stops on the lower clamp with a grinder so it would work with the XR frame. The top clamp required a little grinder action to so it would work with the stock steering stem. The clamp is a little bit too tall to be able to get full engagement of the nut. Also had to relace my wheel with a 450 hub/rotor since the axle is a bigger diameter than the XR. I was able to retain my stock front caliper and brake line. I had to fab up my own wheel spacers to get the wheel centered but if you use forks from a 450 the stock spacer should work. I have about 600 miles of dual sporting on the conversion so far and I am extremely pleased with how it performs. Only time and miles will tell how its going to hold up. My personal opinion is that the 650's frame is more than strong enough to handle the USD forks.

• oldmanfunk

Posted January 26, 2004 - 01:58 PM

Thank you for taking the time to explain your project. :)

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.