Anti Stiction Coating on 2004

6 replies to this topic
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted January 24, 2004 - 05:10 PM

I noticed that one of the FEATURES for the WR in 2004 is this anti-stiction coating on the OUTSIDE of the frontfork. I thought it would come on the fork legs not the OUTSIDE of the forks upper holders (looks nice but) what is the function of this other than just MKTG? By the way the forks on my bike with 7 kms now feels quite STICKY, I realesed the wheel bolts and compressed the fork a couple of times before tightning again, but it contimues to feel not very smooth. Is this NORMAL for a new bike????

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 24, 2004 - 05:35 PM

You might be pumping up with air. release the air from the forks at the top caps. The new coating is for the internal fork friction reduction along the sliders and seals. :)

• sabin

Posted January 25, 2004 - 02:18 AM

Does anyone realy changes his fork oil after brake in???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 25, 2004 - 04:27 AM

I don't... My fork oil just slips through the seals.. :)

• ddialogue

Posted January 25, 2004 - 08:09 AM

I did. :)

• WR450

Posted January 27, 2004 - 11:20 PM

I changed mine after a 1000Km
I also change it every six months thereafter

• MN_Kevin

Posted January 28, 2004 - 04:34 AM

the anti-stiction coating is on the skinny tubes, on the outside. So, that IS the surface that rides along the fork seals.

New forks WILL have seal sticktion*

*sticktion...is that REALLY a word...??? :D

Your seals do have to break in.

It is a good idea to change your fork oil, that with a total breakdown(1) of your forks to clean out any debris from "fork break-in".

I have never done this until I have completed 4 full race days, along w/ any practice rides in between. Call me lazy...or as I like to think..."BUSY!!" :)

(1) you do NOT have to pull the seals for this. Just remove the Base valve and pull the springs. This will allow you to do a very good internal cleaning of your forks. You WILL need an impact wrench (pneumatic or electric) or a cartridge rod holding tool, a 14mm(?) allen socket for your base valve and a 14mm(?) wrench to hold the internal of the fork leg, while you spin off the fork cap to pull the spring.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.