WR450 6 speed conversion/wider ratios?

6 replies to this topic
  • KTMsSuck351

Posted July 11, 2014 - 11:35 AM

Is there any type of kit that has wider ratios or a 6 speed tranny conversion for a 2011 WR450? I am a experienced desert rider and WR stock will get to only about 85 and thats pushing it wide open. I hate gearing my bikes higher because then you loose all of the low end and throttle responds. I dont need to do 100mph but at least 95 tops. My suspension is all ready set up/weight savings and all of that. Just need the bike to be purely faster. 

• offrd beatr

Posted July 11, 2014 - 12:43 PM

I would also like my bike to have significantly wider ratio trans. You will get a bunch of replies about you not needing to go that fast. They think that WRs already have a wide ratio and you should be happy with it. It's not the fact that the bike 'only' does 85. I hate spinning the motor to the moon to ride it at 75+. These engines make a fat power curve and the trans does very little to utilize it.

• woods-rider

Posted July 11, 2014 - 12:45 PM

I would also love to have a 6th gear for transfer sections, but I'm not optimistic about there being an economical solution.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:23 PM

It is not possible to add another gear to the transsmission.

Gear it up for 110 (15/45) and add a Rekluse CORE 3.0 for the slow stuff.

This is standard practice for desert racing.

The pro's don't even add the CORE, they just go faster in the slow stuff.

• woods-rider

Posted July 11, 2014 - 08:45 PM

I don't like the auto clutches, tried one on a WR450F... not for me. I mainly ride technical single track, but there is the odd transfer section and it would be nice to be able to cruise at 70 without wringing it out while still geared to crawl through the gnar. I'll keep dreaming.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 12, 2014 - 07:12 AM

I don't like the auto clutches, tried one on a WR450F... not for me. I mainly ride technical single track, but there is the odd transfer section and it would be nice to be able to cruise at 70 without wringing it out while still geared to crawl through the gnar. I'll keep dreaming.

I don't like them either. I've tried a few, and they always come off.

I stuck with 14/48 for gearing, and go through a clutch pack every year.

I find the stock pack to have by far the best feel and engagment point.

Porting the head made the power band wider so I get more torque at 3000rpm, where most of the slow stuff happens.

I have the HotCams YZ cams too, but they really do nothing down low, if not take away a bit of the bottom end. The porting compensates.

• RockerYZWR

Posted July 12, 2014 - 09:12 PM

And it is amazing how fast they can go through it. Tight first gear (for me) technical rocky river washes and they run through that stuff in 2nd like it's nothing. I hear them coming and even if it's too narrow to let them by, they always find room to pass.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.