2011 yz450f desert racing set up

7 replies to this topic
  • bigcozzybear

Posted July 10, 2014 - 06:03 AM

I am starting to prep my bike for next year's finke desert race, and was wondering if anyone had some knowledge/experience in setting these bad boys up for high speed racing.

Average speed for the race is around 90km/h and top speed is around 160km/h if if both bike and rider are up to it.
Terrain is mainly sandy whoops with a few sections of hard pack and rocks.
Suggestions on gearing, tyre choice, mapping and any engine mods would be appreciated. I already run a full yoshi system which I am very happy with , so I'm all sorted in that regard.

Also, does anyone know of an oversized fuel tank for this model? I can't seem to find any.

Many thanks in advance.

• YamaLink

Posted July 10, 2014 - 04:33 PM

Believe this is one 2.4g option that may work: https://www.imsprodu...SizeSet=2.4 gal

• bigcozzybear

Posted July 10, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Believe this is one 2.4g option that may work: https://www.imsprodu...SizeSet=2.4 gal

Thanks for that, I was hoping for a little bigger but that will work

• Gibbit

Posted July 10, 2014 - 05:25 PM

I am starting to prep my bike for next year's finke desert race, and was wondering if anyone had some knowledge/experience in setting these bad boys up for high speed racing.

Average speed for the race is around 90km/h and top speed is around 160km/h if if both bike and rider are up to it.
Terrain is mainly sandy whoops with a few sections of hard pack and rocks.
Suggestions on gearing, tyre choice, mapping and any engine mods would be appreciated. I already run a full yoshi system which I am very happy with , so I'm all sorted in that regard.

Also, does anyone know of an oversized fuel tank for this model? I can't seem to find any.

Many thanks in advance.

Here's a ride report on my 2012 Finke assault on a 2011 YZ450. Suspension setup by someone who knows Finke is mandatory.

I came 150th in 2012 and 120th this year on a YZ250 2-banger.

http://www.dirtbikew...ead.php?t=93280

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigcozzybear

Posted July 10, 2014 - 05:30 PM

Here's a ride report on my 2012 Finke assault on a 2011 YZ450. Suspension setup by someone who knows Finke is mandatory.

I came 150th in 2012 and 120th this year on a YZ250 2-banger.

http://www.dirtbikew...ead.php?t=93280

Thanks mate.
I will put my bike into desert edge for the suspension, greeny knows his suspension and I seems that all the local boys that do well see him for suspension set up.

It's mainly gearing and tyres I'm concerned about, thinking of running an 18" rear wheel to reduce the risk of a puncture

• Gibbit

Posted July 10, 2014 - 05:37 PM

I just ran a Dunlop D952 in a 120/90-19 at 15psi both years with no drama.

Greeny knows his stuff.

I just ran 15/49 gearing (2 extra on the front from standard) and that was plenty. You need it to be able pull though the heavy sand. It will still do 160 but you won't be doing that sort of speed much. I averaged about 75km/hr this year.

• bigcozzybear

Posted July 10, 2014 - 05:50 PM

I might drop 1 or 2 off the back sprocket as well, not a huge fan of over rev.
What sort of mapping did you run on the 450?

Good write up on dbw by the way

• Gibbit

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:31 PM

I might drop 1 or 2 off the back sprocket as well, not a huge fan of over rev.
What sort of mapping did you run on the 450?

Good write up on dbw by the way

Thanks mate. I never changed the mapping.
Finkes not about power and speed. It's about endurance and getting through the whoops as quick as you can without eating sh!t.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.