Think i blew my motor?

4 replies to this topic
  • Trevorm60

Posted July 09, 2014 - 04:30 PM

I just traded an 01 cr125 an 150 bucks all decked out for a decent 06 yz450f. Had it for 20 minutes riding down the road in 4th just putting and the back wheel locked up. I oulled over and there was coolant pissing out of the weep hole right under the water pump. It is hard now. I only got it started for a half a second after it happened and it shut off again. The kick start still kicks over but it seems harder to kick. Could the water pump have failed and the piston started to warp an it locked up for a few seconds? Or what could it be?

• ruthless

Posted July 09, 2014 - 05:22 PM

Yeah, something failed. Try pulling the plug and see if the kicking gets easier. Could be hydro-locked maybe??? Blown head gasket???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ratom98

Posted July 09, 2014 - 05:27 PM

bet this guy didn't have you come over to his place to make the deal

• Trevorm60

Posted July 09, 2014 - 05:38 PM

bet this guy didn't have you come over to his place to make the deal

nope he drove 3 hours to me

• Wild Alaskan

Posted July 09, 2014 - 06:08 PM

im guessing based on that trade you got some basket case. the coollant out of the weep hole is a bad pump seal and is likely unrelated to your engine failing. to start I would check and make sure it has oil, check the oil filter to see if its clogged/there, then drain the coolant and see if there was any in it.

Those bikes were really good at seizing the camshaft to the head after the slightest bit of oil deprivation or mis-torqued cam caps. Your symptoms point to this. If its not bad you can send out the head to have the journals polished, or buy a $700 head. Let us know what you find.

Edited by Wild Alaskan, July 09, 2014 - 06:08 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.