1 reply to this topic
  • Joshklly93

Posted July 09, 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hi guys. having a small problem with my yzf 426. bought it the other day. had some one look at it today to be told its not a yzf but a wr thats been made to look like one as it had 5 gears unfortunately it was a stolen and recovered bike so a lot of the vin numbers have been scratched out. 
would any body be able to tell me if theres any truth in the yzf & wr thing as i have been told yamaha experimented with a 5 shift gear box on the 2003 yzf426 
If you could email me direct or on here it would be brilliant

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 09, 2014 - 03:24 PM

First off, there was no '03 YZ426F.  The YZ426F was made from '00-'02.  (there never was ANY yzf426)  The WR426F was built only in '01-'02, the '00 model WR was a 400.  All YZF/WRF models up to '03 were 5 speeds, as were all later WR's.  The '03-'05 YZ450F was the 4 speed.

At the front of the cylinder, near the bottom right "corner", the engine displacement is cast into the barrel.  It will either be 399cc or 426cc.

The CDI unit of a YZ426 has a total of 12 wire leads in two 6-pin connectors, plus one additional ground on its own connector.  The WR CDI has one 6-pin connector with 6 leads in it, another one with 5, and two more 2-pin connectors with two leads apiece.

You might also look under the seat.  A YZ426 will have an air box without a cover on top.  The WR has a cover with two narrow snorkels coming off covering the filter.  You may also find a model ID sticker on the rear sub frame under the seat.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.