05 engine rebuild

2 replies to this topic
  • Troy35

Posted July 06, 2014 - 07:10 PM

Hey all.  I am in the process of tearing down my '05 WR450 engine.  The engine seized on me while riding.  My fault, after it seized I realized that the oil plug high on the frame was gone.  The only thing I can figure is that I didn't tighten it well after an oil change.

So I figured I would get all the top and bottom end parts, and hell, the bike is nine years old with a lot of hours so I have a brand new bike after the build.  I have the new crank assembly, bearings, piston, and gasket kits.

I have the engine out of the frame and I have the head and cylinder off.  I realized that the piston was my problem.  I guess the oil starvation caused the piston to come in contact with, and weld itself to the inside of the cylinder walls.  Once I knocked the piston down enough to lift the cylinder off of the case the crank actually moves quite freely.  I am confident the seizure was the piston/cylinder union.

I cleaned the piston shrapnel off of the inside of the cylinder wall and it all came off beautifully but I do have a small (less than the diameter of a BB) hole in the cylinder walls.  So I know that these cylinders at NikSil right?  What options do I have there save buying a new cylinder?  Can it be replated or even steel sleeved by like LA Sleeve?

I am going to finish the bottom end rebuild.  I want to see everything inside there is OK, plus I have the new crank and bearings anyway.

What else should I (reasonably) look at doing?  The head is mostly what I'm curious about.  What could the oil starvation have done to it?  It looks absolutely fine.  Even outside the oil issue, on a nine year old bike what would you do?  I would rather not shell out the money for brand new valves but how far should I take it?

What else am I missing on a full motor rebuild?  I've done a fair share of top ends on 2 strokes, but like many jumping from 2 strokes to 4 strokes I'm finally at the "4 strokes are more complicated and more expensive that 2 strokes" part of my riding life.  I will never go back to a 2 stroke again!  I love my WR, I just want to do this right.  Hopefully without breaking the bank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 07, 2014 - 04:57 AM

Typical oil starvation damage order:

- exahaust cam journals (head)

- exhaust cam races (cam)

- intake cam journals

- intake cam races

- Piston/rings/wrist pin

- Cylinder damage from piston expansion

- cam chain (replace it regardless)

- cam chain tensioner (replace it regardless)

- Crank bearings

- trans primary shaft/gears

You need to plasti -guage the cam/journal mating surfaces in the head to see if the cam journals are still 'round' and not oval. Visual inspection will reveal a lot.

The crank is probably fine. Check your oil and filter for gold dust/flakes, as that will tell you if the crank is begining to fail.

I would replace the cylinder with a new one. They are not that expensive, at 330.00

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, July 07, 2014 - 04:58 AM.

• Troy35

Posted July 07, 2014 - 09:24 AM

Ok, thanks that gives a great place to start.  I'll take a much closer look at the head for sure.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.