2012 yz450f runability question

17 replies to this topic
  • Lyrikz74

Posted July 06, 2014 - 02:23 PM

I only ride the bike in sand. It's new. Performed the break in procedure and the bike is great. I am having an issue. When in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear when u are just steady on the throttle the bike spits and just sounds lean. When u give it gas it smooths out. I know these bikes run pretty lean. Do u think the gytr tuner will help this issue? The bike does have a slip on. Everything else is stock

• bigcozzybear

Posted July 06, 2014 - 02:58 PM

You don't have the "choke" on still do you?

• dirtbeater

Posted July 06, 2014 - 04:01 PM

I know nothing on efi bikes but I would assume there is no choke. ..?

• SAthump

Posted July 06, 2014 - 05:22 PM

No choke

When you're at 1/4 throttle or under running a steady speed this bike will feel that way. It has to do with the throttle valve, at small throttle opening the valve is actually making big movements. You can fatten up the mapping 3-4% in that range, it will help a lil. Twist the throttle more and ride faster;) or check out injectionering .

• SparksXR426

Posted July 06, 2014 - 06:00 PM

I only ride the bike in sand. It's new. Performed the break in procedure and the bike is great. I am having an issue. When in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear when u are just steady on the throttle the bike spits and just sounds lean. When u give it gas it smooths out. I know these bikes run pretty lean. Do u think the gytr tuner will help this issue? The bike does have a slip on. Everything else is stock

My 12 behaved exactly that way after I'd put some Stabil in it in the fall. Run like crap at steady throttle but cleaned up when you cranked it. It was a partially clogged injector from the fuel stabilizer. You say your bike is new so I imagine that's not it unless the bike was run at some point at the dealer then parked? I run the stock map on my 12 with a full exhaust and zero issues at sea level.

• Lyrikz74

Posted July 06, 2014 - 06:17 PM

You don't have the "choke" on still do you?

No, choke isn't on. It's running lean not rich.

I know nothing on efi bikes but I would assume there is no choke. ..?

No choke
When you're at 1/4 throttle or under running a steady speed this bike will feel that way. It has to do with the throttle valve, at small throttle opening the valve is actually making big movements. You can fatten up the mapping 3-4% in that range, it will help a lil. Twist the throttle more and ride faster;) or check out injectionering .

T
It had zero time when I bought it. The gas was non ethanol 93 octane. . I just didn't know where to start.

• bigcozzybear

Posted July 06, 2014 - 08:08 PM

I know it's not an actual choke, hence the " "... but the thing that looks like a choke actually leans out the mixture to make starting easier. If I forget to push it back in before riding my '11 pops, crackles and coughs like no tomorrow.

• Lyrikz74

Posted July 07, 2014 - 08:47 AM

I know it's not an actual choke, hence the " "... but the thing that looks like a choke actually leans out the mixture to make starting easier. If I forget to push it back in before riding my '11 pops, crackles and coughs like no tomorrow.

Ya, i didnt realize it even had that option. It was in. It just sucks you have to be either off the gas or on the gas orr it will spit/pop when its just carrying the same speed.. It doesnt do it in every gear. Im sure its running lean and the sand and the slip on just make it a bit worse.

• SAthump

Posted July 07, 2014 - 11:55 AM

Nope the stock map is on the rich side

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lyrikz74

Posted July 07, 2014 - 12:14 PM

Nope the stock map is on the rich side

Hmmm. Everywhere i have been reading all said how the bike is pretty lean from the factory.

• YzCas

Posted July 07, 2014 - 03:39 PM

yes that's all it needs I'm very surprised I have a 13 and it feels fat on the bottom power is in upper mid high Rpms.

• Lyrikz74

Posted July 07, 2014 - 04:17 PM

yes that's all it needs I'm very surprised I have a 13 and it feels fat on the bottom power is in upper mid high Rpms.

Im stating its running lean when you are in a cruising mode in 2nd, 3rd gear, 4th gear.. When you are just maintaining a certain speed and not hard on the throttle.. When you are on the throttle it has all the fuel it needs... I wonder if thats something thats
even changable.

• SparksXR426

Posted July 07, 2014 - 04:50 PM

Oh you can change that via the tuner to a certain extent. For all the playing around I did with my tuner when I first got it I never got the bike to stumble and run poorly. I can't see you being so far out with just a slip on to do that. The tuner would however let you pull codes off the bike if there are any.

• YzCas

Posted July 07, 2014 - 04:54 PM

Oh you can change that via the tuner to a certain extent. For all the playing around I did with my tuner when I first got it I never got the bike to stumble and run poorly. I can't see you being so far out with just a slip on to do that. The tuner would however let you pull codes off the bike if there are any.

Contact a guy BDubb in Suzuki threads he has a guy will clean all that up 50 roller remap tell him what you want.

• YzCas

Posted July 07, 2014 - 04:58 PM

Im stating its running lean when you are in a cruising mode in 2nd, 3rd gear, 4th gear.. When you are just maintaining a certain speed and not hard on the throttle.. When you are on the throttle it has all the fuel it needs... I wonder if thats something thats
even changable.

I'm not being ignorant I don't cruise with any bike my 13 runs like a 2 stroke tap the clutch and off I goes its far from lean I have power bomb yoshi.maybe high compression piston I run av gas.

• SAthump

Posted July 07, 2014 - 05:06 PM

A slip on really helps lessen the low end bark and gives a notable overrev

But he's talking about low load constant throttle cruising

A flywheel weight helps slightly

Richening the 1/4 1/4 box slightly too

I haven't done the throttle body mods but those will be the "fix" I hear

I have no issues with it, remember this is a race bike not a ttr125

• Lyrikz74

Posted July 07, 2014 - 06:02 PM

A slip on really helps lessen the low end bark and gives a notable overrev
But he's talking about low load constant throttle cruising
A flywheel weight helps slightly
Richening the 1/4 1/4 box slightly too
I haven't done the throttle body mods but those will be the "fix" I hear
I have no issues with it, remember this is a race bike not a ttr125

I'm not being ignorant I don't cruise with any bike my 13 runs like a 2 stroke tap the clutch and off I goes its far from lean I have power bomb yoshi.maybe high compression piston I run av gas.

Appreciate the advice. I guess i just need to be on it more. lol

• SparksXR426

Posted July 07, 2014 - 06:23 PM

The fact is if your bike is popping and crapping out at steady light throttle while riding there's something wrong. If you can live with it with a brand new bike then fine, I've been there and it drove me nuts. If thats what's happening with yours I doubt it has anything to do with the mapping. I've tried all different maps, have a flywheel weight and the Injectioneering mod with a PC system . With those mods I like the stock map best. Hell if you were closer you could try mine since it just collects dust nowadays.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.