2014 WR450

57 replies to this topic
  • cracker please

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:42 PM

If you're used to cr500 power I don't think you would like the wr250r.

• vlxjim

Posted July 08, 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hey what's your map again? I'm at 8 on my CO level, and running a cross between the FMF map and the 'muddy slippery conditions' map. As in, the fuel is set pretty much to the FMF map, but ignition is still retarded, but not nearly as much as the muddy map. So I've got back some of the fuel economy and snap, but it's still manageable on tight trails.

EDIT: I forgot to add, after setting my CO to 8, my hot starting issues went away. It always started fine cold, but now starts hot no problem, and in gear, which NEVER happened before. I've only boiled it on one trail/ride, and did so like 6 or 8 times. But it was super tight technical trail with a LOT of clutch slipping in 1st and 2nd gear. I've ridden other single track trails in much hotter weather and never boiled it. It's private club property, and I'm told lots of guys on big bores boil their bikes there, so that was the exception, not the rule, at least for me.

Here you go. Give it a try.

Vlxjim Map

Fuel         Timing

3  4  4      0   0   0

3  5  3     -2  -1  0

3  4  3     -2  -2  0

Vlxjim Map more bottom hit

Fuel         Timing

3  4  4      0   0   0

3  5  3     -1   0  0

3  4  3     -1  -1  0

Vlxjim Map leaner better mpg

Fuel         Timing

2  3  3      0   0   0

2  4  2     -2  -1  0

2  3  2     -2  -2  0

• offrd beatr

Posted July 08, 2014 - 06:49 PM

The 250 isn't quite enough!! I'm not ultra fast, just a dirty power whore.

• GP1K

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Here you go. Give it a try.

Vlxjim Map

Fuel         Timing

3  4  4      0   0   0

3  5  3     -2  -1  0

3  4  3     -2  -2  0

Vlxjim Map more bottom hit

Fuel         Timing

3  4  4      0   0   0

3  5  3     -1   0  0

3  4  3     -1  -1  0

Vlxjim Map leaner better mpg

Fuel         Timing

2  3  3      0   0   0

2  4  2     -2  -1  0

2  3  2     -2  -2  0

Turns out I'm pretty close to your lean/mpg map. Here's my current:

Fuel         Timing

2  3  3      0   0   0

2  4  4     -2  -4  0

2  4  4     -3  -4  0

You've got a little less fuel, and a little more ignition than mine, but I'll sure give your first map a try.

• cubera

Posted July 10, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Long time lurker here, first post. Im from the Boise, ID area. I enjoy riding woods and technical stuff. I chose the Yammer hammer for a few reasons. It has a reputation for reliability, It can be ridden at any pace (I have young kids), Yamaha finally put top shelf suspension in an offroad bike, the design isnt ten years old, blah, blah. I generally like the bike but it does have some things going on that i dont like. The list of stuff you have to do to these to make them run is obnoxious. The dealer did the airbox baffle and throttle screw. I bought the ECU with it. Rode it twice and ordered a silencer. I have read that people just put a different tip in the stock one. That does nothing for performance when the transfer tubing between the chambers inside the muffler is the same diameter as the stock outlet. Wide ratio my ass. First is too tall and the other four gears are right on top of it. A sixth gear in the current configuration would be a bandaid but better than nothing. For the clowns that scream out that they will go 85 MPH, you are right, but 1.thats not fast enough 2. its cruising speed is around 50 MPH which is slow as hell. Not real sure where Yamaha thought this bike was supposed to be ridden but a 40 mile range is not enough. Thats a 2X4 with a vinyl cover, not a seat. I have a 32" inseam and i am tippy toed in the garage! Makes it difficult in ugly terrain. The MX51 tires suck but not bad enough to replace them before they are worn out. The power is decent after being uncorked and the bike is fun to ride at speed (not high speed, it cant go fast). I just recently put the IMS tank on it to make it capable of getting out of sight of the truck and actually being able to ride it back instead of walking. The suspension is very good in stock form!! I need to put stiffer springs in it as I am 215 pounds ready to ride but it copes well like it is. It is very stable but still turns in nice. Are there any options to widen the gear ratio in the trans? I came from a twenty year old 2 smoker that would hand this bike its ass in terms of outright speed, power, range, and seat comfort but fell short everywhere else. I looked into 300 XC-Ws but they are a little too high strung to be ridden with my kids CRF80 and wifes TTR250. Overall im a little let down by what i thought this bike would be and the reality. It has grown on me but still needs the gearing sorted. I believe a large bore bike should be able to top 100 and still have a usable first gear. This one cant do those things with the ratios it has internally and no amount of external gearing would help it out. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your time.

***Sorry if I've missed some things and posted things already posted. I'm only trying to share some things not cause any heartburn.***

I can relate to most of what you're experiencing and I somewhat agree with your assessment/impressions/opinion. However, there are a couple of things you can do that will probably improve your views on the WR. It will never be a hand numbing pinging smoking CR500, thankfully, but it will be a first rate 450F enduro machine for you.

First thing you ought to do is tune that competition ECU. I like the FMF map but there are numerous configurations that ought to satisfy your desires for abundance and quality of power. My 2013 has been desnorkeled, has FMF muffler w/ USFS sparky, stock head pipe, comp ECU with FMF mapping and, of course, the shortened throttle stop screw. It makes comparable power to my highly modified CRF 450X, CRF450R, 530XC-W, and it'll run circles around the 300XC-W not even a contest. And this just with some tuning bone stock motor. If you want even more power, best bang for the buck would be a ported head with YZ cams...but I digress. So number one on your list would be FMF mapping. Takes about 2 mins.

Second thing you can do is try either a 14T CS or 48T rear sprocket, or both. I know higher speed Baja cruisers and dual sport guy who like that gearing. It drops revs at higher cruising speeds, will smooth out the power, and maybe improve fuel range. Personally, I like the stock gearing of 13/50 for the mix of riding I do even if it is mostly open desert type riding. I find the WR has plenty of top speed, a really granny 1st for technical situations, 2/3/4/5 are pretty much like the YZ but, in my humble, opinion, overall the ratios are just about perfect. The ratios are every bit as good as the 450X (very similar if not identical off the top of my head), and much more useable than the 6 speed on the 530. Only my opinion but the 6 speeds are way over rated. The WR has a huge rev range and can lug and chug or limit in any particular gear. Takes some adjusting for habits coming off the 2 strokes especially.

Third, would be the IMS 3.0 gallon tank. I can do 80 miles reliably on it. I could get around 50 with the stock tank.

I'm a big old fat guy and found the stock suspension pretty darn good. I recently has the suspension redone by AS Racing and it's almost like cheating. If I were only doing the technical stuff I would have left it alone but didn't feel comfortable trying to attack the death whoops at speed on the stock boingers.

I appreciate your opinions and hope to see you post more of them as time goes by! Hopefully the WR will adapt to you a little more.

Edited by cubera, July 10, 2014 - 07:30 AM.

• stevethe

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:10 AM

I said I would sell my CR500 when the WR450 did the big hills as well. All it took at the time was a YZ'd WR450. The CR500 is a long goner.

That's the carbed version. It's pretty easy to put out nearly 50 rear wheel hp. Built nearly 60 and up.

Many have said the new fuel injected version is very similar when modified to the 50 hp YZ'd WR. The bikes are much smoother and don't vibrate like the old CR 500's.  

• cubera

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:29 AM

All new WR's 12-15 all use the same ECU / Comp ECU. I don't think Yamaha is bumping up the CO levels on them. I can tell you my 2012 WR starts in gear hot or cold.  95 + out side on tight 1st - 2nd gear trails with no boil overs ever (yet). But I do use a CO of 15 and my vlxjim map. I get PM's from others here that run my setup and say its the best thing they have done to there bike. I'm not saying its the best, but for most riding its great. You could run the FMF map with a 0 CO and have a hard hitting no starting in gear ride that you curse at. Have fun all.

I have no idea what the CO is but I run the FMF map and the bike starts hot or cold in gear or not never an issue. I'm commonly flogging it in triple digit temps and it never boils over. Am I just lucky?

• offrd beatr

Posted July 11, 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the personal experiences and recommendations, I appreciate the input. This is a very good bike that makes good power and has impressive suspension stock. I have all the free stuff done and FMF can and comp ECU. Mine happens to start relatively well too! It is growing on me but I still want to change the internal gearing. I just have the stock map in the ecu and will start messing with it a little more when it's not triple digits outside.

• cubera

Posted July 13, 2014 - 03:15 PM

Tinker with the gearing a little and see if you can find your sweet spot. A friend of mine is taking his YZ on a Baja trip so he geared it 14/48 and loves it. His bike runs the Rekluse Pro and that helps in the technical stuff with the tall first gear of the YZ. I find 1st gear on the WR a little too low most of the time, 2/3/4 are perfect, and 5 runs a little short for prolonged higher speed cruising. I'm anxious to try 13/48 which I think will be just about perfect for the majority of rides I do. Like suspension, gear ratios are never going to be perfect for everything the bike gets put through. It's a compromise always.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jonesy11

Posted July 16, 2014 - 10:38 AM

I bought my 2014 last year in October. Put all de restriction stuff and fmf powercore with mega bomb header running the quick rev map and love it. I ride with guys on the new ktm 500 and new kx450 and I can hang with them everywhere. I had zip Ty racing do suspension and I'm telling you a completly new bike. No more clapping out the front end and I can hit g outs with no worry what so ever. IMO one of the best bikes Yamaha has come up with so far.

• Jonesy11

Posted July 16, 2014 - 11:48 AM

How do you change your co to 15. I have the gytr programmer but never changed my co.

• vlxjim

Posted July 16, 2014 - 02:02 PM

How do you change your co to 15. I have the gytr programmer but never changed my co.

You need the "FI diagnostic tool" not the GYTR power programer.

• mebgardner

Posted July 18, 2014 - 12:01 PM

You need the "FI diagnostic tool" not the GYTR power programer.

I am a member who will rent you one.

• Jonesy11

Posted August 15, 2014 - 02:05 PM

I am a member who will rent you one.

Just seen your post. I know it's been bout a month but you still around. I really need to adjust the CO. but every dealer around me won't do it.

• Jonesy11

Posted August 16, 2014 - 11:57 AM

I've read in the older WR thread that they are putting filters from the carb and routing it up under the seat. Is that needed on the newer fuel injected models? 2nd question. Where and how dk I re route the breather from the air box. Crossed some deep water the other day and airbox filled up. How and is it needed to re route it up higher. Thank you in advance.

• revelc

Posted August 16, 2014 - 12:30 PM

I don't know what top speed you want out of a woods bike but I topped out at 94 with stock gearing and silencer. All I added was a throttle stop and ECU. I'm still waiting on my tuner and Q4.

The seat isn't very comfortable for me either and I have a big ole ass too. I'm looking at a Guts seat. I can say that the WR seat is more comfortable than my buddies KTM. It was like riding on a fossilized banana.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Q4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

• cracker please

Posted August 17, 2014 - 02:38 AM

I've read in the older WR thread that they are putting filters from the carb and routing it up under the seat. Is that needed on the newer fuel injected models? 2nd question. Where and how dk I re route the breather from the air box. Crossed some deep water the other day and airbox filled up. How and is it needed to re route it up higher. Thank you in advance.

Someone was saying the crankcase breather routes low in the airbox.  I didn't do anything about it yet.  I don't ride in deep water but it probably should at least have a filter for dusty conditions.

• mebgardner

Posted August 17, 2014 - 06:28 AM

Just seen your post. I know it's been bout a month but you still around. I really need to adjust the CO. but every dealer around me won't do it.

Jonesy:

Follow this link, and then follow the directions. The FI tool is available for rent.

http://www.thumperta...here-tucson-az/

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.