please Mr Yamaha....

15 replies to this topic
  • trollope

Posted July 05, 2014 - 01:43 PM

are you ever going to make a 350 size light weight enduro to take on KTM, Berg, Beta etc, as i am 100 kg, and find the 250 too small (have to work it too hard engine wise) and the 450F a bit much in power and weight... it is a question my 40 + year old mates talk about every meeting we have.... we think the 350 power will be spot on with an allow frame and light weight electric starter etc... we all prefer to stay on a popular and economical Jap machine...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 05, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Yawn, yawn yawn.

Same old tune

• jentzschman

Posted July 05, 2014 - 02:39 PM

Not sure this is the best place for this particular topic either. 

• Monk

Posted July 05, 2014 - 02:46 PM

are you ever going to make a 350 size light weight enduro to take on KTM, Berg, Beta etc, as i am 100 kg, and find the 250 too small (have to work it too hard engine wise) and the 450F a bit much in power and weight... it is a question my 40 + year old mates talk about every meeting we have.... we think the 350 power will be spot on with an allow frame and light weight electric starter etc... we all prefer to stay on a popular and economical Jap machine...

Why not go buy a 2011 or so 350, and mount it in a Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki chassis?

• MurphSC

Posted July 05, 2014 - 06:27 PM

Or big bore a 250?

My 2007 WR290 with cams is do
Much stronger than the standard 250. I picked up an '01 wider ratio to make it even better on transfers or when I am running down the highway.

• flyandride

Posted July 05, 2014 - 07:06 PM

And how about a 6th gear?  And variable valve timing.  I have an idea how that could be done.  

• 123devinzz1

Posted July 06, 2014 - 03:43 AM

Not the size of engine that makes it heavy... Really though how much is an extra 100cc of volume for the castings of aluminum. A 6th gear would be soo nice, especially for us dual sport guys.

• KennyMc

Posted July 06, 2014 - 06:28 AM

I have an '07 plated WR450 and might be picking up a 14 KTM 350EXC. Keeping the WR though as I am looking for a good dual sport for my wife and something I can then ride on some of the more "dual" dual sport rides I do because that is where the 6th gear would be a dream.

To the OP's point, this pains me as I prefer to stay with the Japanese mfg. as well but in the dual sport arena, they REALY fall on their face. Hell, they can't even stand up to then fall on their face :thumbsdown: And I am not one that likes to do big bite kits. 2 strokes, ok, 4 strokes, not for me. Just My own personal opinion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 06, 2014 - 06:35 AM

http://enduro21.com/...015-beta-350-rr

• KennyMc

Posted July 06, 2014 - 12:29 PM

For me or the OP?

OP - looking for the Japanese mfg. to step up (as well as I am)

Me - that thing ain't plated.

• Navaho6

Posted July 07, 2014 - 07:04 PM

You probably will not get that from the factory but you can make one.  I sold my WR and bought my friends '09 YZ450F.  He set it up for woods - heavy flywheel weight, 18" wheel, barkbusters, radiator guards, kick stand, skid plate, steering damper, o-ring chain, WR header, and FMF pipe and still weighs only 249 lbs wet.  A ktm 350 XC-F with same amount of fuel but no farkles is the same as my YZ, BUT probably closer to 257 with all the protection I have on the YZ.    YZ suspension is revalved for woods by Factory Connection.  Only thing I don't like is 1st gear.  New rear sprocket will fix that, and if I have the desire and energy, i can always put a WR tranny in it.

Edited by Navaho6, July 08, 2014 - 02:01 PM.

• GP1K

Posted July 07, 2014 - 07:30 PM

I think a woods-out YZ250 would be far more likely than a WR350. Yamaha could easily do the usual tricks Navaho6 outlined above, with very little effort. They could even solve the MX tranny issue with the WR400 gear set swap trick. All from the factory, and it would sell like hotcakes.

I'm still waiting to see if there will be a YZF-insipred WR250F next year, complete with backwards motor. If they do that right, it could be an awesome single track weapon.

• Chaconne

Posted July 08, 2014 - 04:25 PM

Just pony up and get the 450. 100cc will not make that much difference weightwise.

I have a 13 exc 350 in my garage  and given a choice I prefer my wr450 or my xr400 to ride and the xr4 is heavy. The wr is pretty light and I love the handling, feels like my yz250f with low end and real power and I'm a small guy. The 350 is a tweener so the small sales volume wouldn't be worth it to a Japanese company IMHO.

Edited by Chaconne, July 08, 2014 - 04:25 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted July 08, 2014 - 10:36 PM

Just pony up and get the 450. 100cc will not make that much difference weightwise.

I have a 13 exc 350 in my garage  and given a choice I prefer my wr450 or my xr400 to ride and the xr4 is heavy. The wr is pretty light and I love the handling, feels like my yz250f with low end and real power and I'm a small guy. The 350 is a tweener so the small sales volume wouldn't be worth it to a Japanese company IMHO.

Hmmmmm, I was thinking about getting a 350 EXC.  How does the power compare to the WR450 to you?  My WR450 is plated so that part is a wash.

• Chaconne

Posted July 09, 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hmmmmm, I was thinking about getting a 350 EXC.  How does the power compare to the WR450 to you?  My WR450 is plated so that part is a wash.

I think the exc350 is an excellent bike,  power compares pretty favorably to the wr, I like the low-end on the wr for lugging in tight technical stuff. It is probably my personal bias I like the handling and control of the wr much better than the exc. I haven't done too much to either at this point close to stock except with the very mild uncork of the wr. Some of it may depend on history. I have ridden xr400s and yzfs a lot more over the years so you get used to certain things I guess.  Have you thought about a 2015 wr or a price reduced 2014? 2013 wrs leftovers had really good discounts in my area.

Edited by Chaconne, July 09, 2014 - 03:01 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted July 09, 2014 - 03:32 PM

I think the exc350 is an excellent bike,  power compares pretty favorably to the wr, I like the low-end on the wr for lugging in tight technical stuff. It is probably my personal bias I like the handling and control of the wr much better than the exc. I haven't done too much to either at this point close to stock except with the very mild uncork of the wr. Some of it may depend on history. I have ridden xr400s and yzfs a lot more over the years so you get used to certain things I guess.  Have you thought about a 2015 wr or a price reduced 2014? 2013 wrs leftovers had really good discounts in my area.

The riding I do is mostly in the CA desert.  More open but I do like to find the technical part of the desert as soon as possible though.  I actual need another plated bike as the wife also has her street bike license and any new bike would serve that purpose as well.  Getting a green sticker bike plated in CA is a loop hole infested endeavor, but just an endeavor.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.