2005 yz450f water pump

4 replies to this topic
  • gcrouse

Posted July 03, 2014 - 09:37 PM

Ok guys have a question doing a bottom end rebuild on my bike and when I took the outer cover off i was turning the water pump and noticed it felt like it was turning against the metal underneath and if I pull out on the impeller it stops and turns freely but my problem is should there be any free play in the impeller shift or does it sound like the bearing has gone bad causing the side to side movement. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted July 05, 2014 - 08:54 AM

The shaft is a slip fit into the bearing, and the bearing does not control end play.  When assembled, the shaft is captive between the balancer shaft and the impeller shaft bearing, and can't shift back and forth so much.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gcrouse

Posted July 05, 2014 - 08:57 AM

Yeah I figured out what it was the last dummy tht rebuilt the motor didn't put the washer behind the impeller and tht was causing the little bit of play that was in it

• grayracer513

Posted July 05, 2014 - 09:03 AM

Let me say this again: The impeller shaft end play is not controlled by the shaft/bearing/crankcase cover assembly unless or until it is bolted to the engine. The outward movement is stopped by the bearing, and the inward movement is stopped by the balancer shaft. The washer behind the impeller IS NOT a thrust washer, and contributes nothing to end play control. It serves only to bolster the impeller against the shoulder on the shaft.

• gcrouse

Posted July 05, 2014 - 09:18 AM

Gotcha thanks for the info

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.