2012 wr450 countershaft leak

5 replies to this topic
  • LAX

Posted July 03, 2014 - 05:43 PM

I have a 2012 450 supermoto. its got ~900 miles on it. Its leaking oil right around the counter shaft. I have replaced the seal and its still doing it. It is fine idling in neutral and doesn't leak a drop, however as soon as I put it into gear and put a load against it (ride it) it starts pissing oil out from behind the counter shaft sprocket. Could the saft be bent? Im praying not because I have no idea how to split cases. Could I have pounded the new seal in too far and that would cause it to leak?

• mebgardner

Posted July 04, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Not sure what you did to have it leak at 900 miles...

You replaced it, huh?  How did you replace it? Tell us what you did.

• waltersobchak

Posted July 04, 2014 - 12:44 PM

My 12 started leaking there as well. When i installed the new seal I made sure not to drive it in to far, i don't think there is a lip for the seal to bottom out against.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted July 04, 2014 - 01:10 PM

There's an oring in there that needs to be replaced also.

• torkd14

Posted July 04, 2014 - 06:43 PM

On my 06 YZ450 I didnt put the seal in far enough and the thing started leaking right away, that's a given though. Maybe there is a chunk of metal or something chewing at the seal. Did you look the old one over?

• GuyGraham

Posted July 05, 2014 - 06:09 AM

Usually dirt under the seal causes it to leak, but if its a supermoto then that's unlikely

How did you re-assemble it?

Spacer (with o-ring in the id) should go on first then, fit the seal afterwards, else you risk damaging your new seal on inseertion of the spacer if you fit the seal first & hence it will leak

Try and see if its leaking from between the seal & spacer or between the spacer and the shaft

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.