Not your typical oil leak

4 replies to this topic
  • YZbumblebee

Posted July 03, 2014 - 12:43 PM

So movers moved my YZ426 from Cali to NC. It leaked a quarter of a quart on the trip. My bike had never leaked oil up to the point of me giving it to movers. So two questions 1) do these bikes randomly leak oil? I cleaned it and it hasn't leaked since. 2) would you run it knowing it did leak but doesnt now? I wanted to find out if it ran but not blow it up. Of course I will top off the oil first. Thoughts?

• mch

Posted July 03, 2014 - 01:02 PM

Why do you think it leaked?  Was there a trail of oil coming out of one area, was there a puddle of oil below the bike, did you just check the amount in it before or after, etc.?  Without more info, and taking for fact oil came out during the trip, perhaps it was tipped over and oil ran out the breather tube.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Did they show you the puddle or complain about it?  Odds are that it simply drained from the tank into the crankcase.  Remove the oil cap/dip stick and start the engine.  Look down the fill port with a flashlight, and you should immediately see a stream of oil being returned to the tank from the sump via the oil line running from the crankcase up the left side of the frame.  If so, run it until the stream becomes broken and sporadic, then shut it down and check the level.  If it was full and lost a quarter quart, it will still have over a quart in it.

If you don't see the return stream, you have a problem.  Shut it off.  Never add oil to a YZF that's been sitting for a week or two without running it first, or you'll overfill it one day and make a mess.

• YZbumblebee

Posted July 03, 2014 - 01:57 PM

There was a plastic tub below the bike and showed me the oil. It had run down the bottom of the frame. I'll run it and look for the stream and go from there. Thanks boys.

• YZbumblebee

Posted July 03, 2014 - 01:59 PM

Here's the oil.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1404424774756.jpg

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.