1998 YZ400F to a 2008 YZ450F

4 replies to this topic
  • ipsullivan

Posted July 03, 2014 - 12:26 PM

Recently sold my 1998 YZ400F and picked up a 2008 YZ450F. Night and day difference. I ride trials/enduro type stuff. Handling seems to be the biggest improvement.

Anyways it needed a few things before being trail worthy. Wheel bearings, sprockets/chain, radiators gaurds, and skid plate, tighten up the spokes/ fix a broken one.

Figured I would share. And of course a couple pictures.

I have looked through the stickys, but any must do mods? And yes I know, exhaust, exhaust, exhaust.

Thanks for looking,
Ian

How I bought it
image.jpg

How it sits now
image.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2014 - 01:30 PM

The two biggest deals for an '08-'09 are the aforementioned muffler (almost anything is better than the stock one.  A full system, even one from an earlier 450, is better) and the CDI.  Cheap trick if you can find it is an '06 CDI, but an '04 will also work.  Big bucks? Vortex.

Both these work to beef up the comparatively weak low/mid range, although some guys insist they like the bike the way it is because it's more manageable for them is a less aggressive state.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ipsullivan

Posted July 03, 2014 - 01:48 PM

The two biggest deals for an '08-'09 are the aforementioned muffler (almost anything is better than the stock one. A full system, even one from an earlier 450, is better) and the CDI. Cheap trick if you can find it is an '06 CDI, but an '04 will also work. Big bucks? Vortex.

Both these work to beef up the comparatively weak low/mid range, although some guys insist they like the bike the way it is because it's more manageable for them is a less aggressive state.

It does seem a little tame compared to my 400. Would just a slip-on suffice in the exhaust aspect? If so what brand/model should I look into for the most gains?

As for the CDI, would an 06 CDI be pretty much plug and play or am I looking at other mods as well?

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2014 - 04:30 PM

As I said, just about any slip-on will do better than the stock pipe, but a full system works a little better overall.  DRD is a really good value for a full system, but I don't have a preference on slip-on mufflers; just buy good quality at a good price. 

I've seen dyno charts showing increases of 6 HP at 5500 RPM, right in the heart of the mid range with a couple of different slip-ons.  The stock system oddly doesn't cost as much power on top as in the middle.

• rhinoracin

Posted July 03, 2014 - 10:40 PM

A flywheel weight makes a huge difference for trail riding... and taller handlebars if you have the stock bars.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.